Price for older Hyside - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2017   #1

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Price for older Hyside

16' hyside SB - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

This guy is asking $4k for this raft package. He doesn't know the year but I suspect it's from the 90s. Considering his claim to be in pristine condition, does this seem to be priced right? I'm seriously considering this and would love any input before committing.

Check out his ad in the classifieds; link above. I've attached a picture of it here too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	21082  

Cap'n RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017   #2

Montrose, Colorado
I'm no expert, but I've been shopping raft packages all summer. If it's in good shape, that's a pretty good deal with all of those extras included.
TheThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
As long as you know what you're getting into...
Hysides hold their value better than most boats. Pristine condition, kick ass frame; yep seems like a good deal.
Just realize, if you don't already, that this is only the foundation of a killer big water/family rig. You will spend another 4G to get it outfitted for the water, this is not turn-key.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017   #4

NE, Oregon
Good vintage of Hyside, still see lots of these on the water. Neat frame.
I like to break down the individual cost of each of the components. Near new equipment seems to sell for 60-70% of new, old equipment less than that.
What are the boxes and frame worth?
What's the rubber worth?
When I do that, I don't think it adds up.
And as mentioned, you still have considerable expense to get it on the water. Depending of course on how much of the "other" stuff you need.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've never seen that boat in person, but considering how much pride that particular raft owner puts into company gear, I'm sure it really is in pristine condition.
Old 08-01-2017   #6

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
If the year of the boat really matters, ask him to look at serial number. The last 2 numbers are usually the year the boat was made.

This is a big boat, so depending on where you plan to take it, it might be too big. It is big enough to go just about anywhere you would want to go i.e. Canyon, Yampa, Salmon, etc..

Seems to be set up right and has all you need to haul a ton of gear and people.

Hysides are built well and hold their value. If taken care of, it will last awhile. From the pics I can't tell if their are any thwarts. Also, it looks to me the boat has been stored in a storage unit. Which means it was probably not stored inflated. This is a big deal for some folks.

Good luck. My advice is to make sure you get exactly what you want.
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #7

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for all the responses. I already have all the gear need to get this on the water ASAP. I currently have a 14' and want to get something a little bigger for my growing family. We have 3 kids, so you can imagine space being tight on a 14.

I was wondering if this is about the same size as current Hysides and/or NRS Expeditions. Would anyone know that? If so, this could be the perfect boat for us.
Cap'n RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Looks like the perfect boat to me. The price isn't bad and you'll get what you paid for in a raft that will last for 50 years.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #9

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
I doubt there would be a noticeable size difference, in length, with new Hysides or NRS Expeditions. There could be a noticeable difference in width depending on the model. With 3 kids on the raft this would also be negligible. I would also suggest you hang on to the 14'er. Your kids will wanna' row this once they get bigger.

The only advantage of buying a new boat is the 5 year warranty that general comes with these rafts.
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #10

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
Looks pretty clean. Has military valves but the hyside logos look newer. I'd suspect turn of the century. As some one mentioned get the hull identification number. That will tell you manufacture date.

What are the dimensions? Compare to the description of other boats.

I've got an early 90's hyside that has seen a ton of use and abuse. It's still a good boat. Thing I like most is how well hypalon rolls and stores well rolled. That boat has made me a fan of the material and hysides in general. It does seem like the older hydrides are more durable than the newer models. Nothing major just been surprised on the amount of fray I've seen on hysides less than 5 yo.

For 16 footer you'd have to get a pro series hyside ($6,100) figure there is probably another 2k in the frame and dry boxes.

4K is a pretty good starting point. I think somewhere between 4 and 3.5 is a good deal. Hard to say without seeing everything in person. Check the boots around the valves for cracks, d rings for frays and separation, handles, and give the bottom a really thorough once over. If I had the cash and needed a bigger boat, I would make a move on it.

Might want bigger oars than you're using on your 14. Other than that, if you have some gear I don't think you'll need too much more.
Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote