Poverty Boat Mod (Floor Removal) - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2014   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Poverty Boat Mod (Floor Removal)

I have a fourteen foot Odyssey bucket boat I use to haul way too much gear around. It's a real poverty boater's boat but it holds air just fine. What's the prob you say? The floor leaks. A lot. So, in true poverty boater fashion I'm seriously considering cutting it out and adding drop rails to the frame. Why not just fix the floor you ask? I may, but I think it would be cathartic and freeing and kinda cool to remove it. I searched this topic and came up with one thread in which a guy had a fourteen foot Avon the PO had butchered in the same manner and he liked it, but that was in 2012. The thing's already a pig so I can't foresee any adverse impact on handling, but what about a reduction in weight capacity? That'd be a biggie if it were significant. Is this a really bad idea? Really good idea? Both? Help a poverty boater out.

lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014   #2

Boise, Idaho
If the floor is inflatable it will significantly reduce the weight carrying capacity of the boat.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #3
Donkey Punch

Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah, so he already stated it was a "bucket boat".
From the pictures of that Avon, it looks like it sits pretty damn low with 2 people and some gear. Not sure if it is b/c of the size of tubes or b/c it doesn't have a floor anymore.
Looks like fun for day trips though. Being an Odyssey, I would probably do it just for the fun of it.
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014   #4

Boise, Idaho
Ah, I have no experience with bucket boats...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
On one of our GC trips, a commercial trip's 18' gear boat was sans floors, but it had big tubes and was 18'. What can it hurt? It's not like your gonna spend money to put an inflatable floor in it.
My wife nixed my request to replace our 16' cat with a 15' raft because she likes to look down into the water, so we got bigger tubes instead.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #6

little rock, Arkansas
So the possible issues are greater displacement (causing boat to ride lower in the water) and increased potential of flipping, correct? I think I could pretty easily change my rigging/loading to mitigate the displacement issue to a certain extent. I'm leaning toward doing it, cause like you guys said, it's an Odyssey. What can it hurt? Most important, my daughter approves. I'm just waiting for that one voice of reason to come up with the dealbreaker, otherwise my next thread will be something like "Best Way to Remove Floor from Poverty Boat".
Old 12-11-2014   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Displacement will be less, not more, if you remove the floor (although correct boat will ride lower with same load since displacement is function of wetted surface area of the floor). I've rowed floorless boats - not fun with any kind of load. Tracking will be squirrely and when you go to make any kind of move across the current (ferry angle) water will pile up against the inside of the upstream tube(s), affecting EVERYTHING. You're better off with a porous but intact floor than without any whatsoever.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Noted, thank you. I'm now considering replacing the Hypalon floor with a tight fitting custom made cat floor attached to D rings glued to the tubes. Guessing cost should be no more than $450. Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2014   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
just repair it for under $20

Flex SealŪ*AND Flex Shot? Holiday Special | Home

Scott
Old 12-11-2014   #10

little rock, Arkansas
Already tried that stuff. The floor now resembles a ginger in the peeling stages of a third degree sunburn. I know how to fix the floor. I just don't want to.