Portable Car Jump Starters - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-22-2013   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Portable Car Jump Starters

Can you use one of these units, such as this 500amp Stanley, to run your 12volt raft pump at the put in, or is there too much Voltage/amperage? Also, do any come with an outlet to run a 110 volt pump such as the Big Red Blower?

Stanley J5C09 500-Amp Jump Starter with Built-In Air Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013   #2

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Yes it will run the 12v raft pumps. You can run a power inverter to run small things. chargers, laptop, ect. The big Red Blower type inflators draw 15 -20 amps. Most small inverters only have about 2 amps. A 2000w generator will do it though.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #3

You need a 1500 watt inverter to run "big red"
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Here is the one I got from Amazon several years ago. I had another brand but this unit seems to be the Hoss of portable batteries.

I use it to inflate rafts with the little italian pump and long as you let the pump cool down between rafts the battery pack does an amazing job. Not to mention all the jump starts I have made.

Clore JNC660 'Jump-N-Carry' 1, 700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter : Amazon.com : Automotive

One of my bud's has the small Honda Generator and the Big Red Pump and that combination tho expensive is as good as it gets at the put in.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
Yes it will run the 12v raft pumps. You can run a power inverter to run small things. chargers, laptop, ect. The big Red Blower type inflators draw 15 -20 amps. Most small inverters only have about 2 amps. A 2000w generator will do it though.

I have no idea why someone would ever bring a generator to the put in when they can just use one of those simple 12 volts inflaters and then top it off with your top off pump. It's about 10 strokes each chamber
Old 12-22-2013   #6

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I have no idea why someone would ever bring a generator to the put in when they can just use one of those simple 12 volts inflaters and then top it off with your top off pump. It's about 10 strokes each chamber
I have seen commercial trips use them many times. Very common on the Grand. Better than a leaf blower!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
"I have no idea why someone would ever bring a generator to the put in when they can just use one of those simple 12 volts inflaters and then top it off with your top off pump. It's about 10 strokes each chamber"

I heard the same thing when the 12 volt pumps came out. That was back when every one thought the big barrel hand pump units were state of the art.

Then most of the folks I raft with left the big hand pumps stored (except for one on the trip just in case) and used the 12 volt pumps at the put in.

My friend has a powerful truck and a big trailer. Not a space problem to bring the honda and big red.

When my friend started bringing the little honda generator and big red blower along it makes raft inflation so fast and easy that it turns rig work into a party for our group and anyone else in the area who wants to borrow it. Some of the 18 ft hysides in our group take forever to air up with the 12 volt units and top off hand pumps.

Every body gets to pump up their boat how ever they want to.

But, if the little honda and big red air pump is available, I will gladly have an adult beverage in one hand and big red in the other and let technology make my job easier.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #8

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I(A) = P(W) / V(V) You know how many amp hours you have in storage, you need to look and see how many watts you blower draws and if it is DC 12v. So if you have a 500 watt blower/ 12 volts = 42 amps 500 amp hr/ 42= 12hrs/2 (you don't want to go below 50% capacity of your lead acid battery) = about 21 hrs of run time.. it should do it.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
I(A) = P(W) / V(V) You know how many amp hours you have in storage, you need to look and see how many watts you blower draws and if it is DC 12v. So if you have a 500 watt blower/ 12 volts = 42 amps 500 amp hr/ 42= 12hrs/2 (you don't want to go below 50% capacity of your lead acid battery) = about 21 hrs of run time.. it should do it.
Does someone make a 500W blower at 12v? That would be a lot of current on your battery leads to the blower. So I'm assuming you mean a 120vac blower, with maybe 80% conversion efficiency. So close to 50A on your inverter. Better have some beefy and short cables to your inverter
Old 12-22-2013   #10

Steamboat Springs, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I use the big red and a 1500 watt inverter. This year I'm trying out an old scuba tank with it regulated to 1 psi. It can fill my 15 footer about thirty times. Might be handy for repairs on the river. It is composite and a reasonable weight.
earnyourturn is offline   Reply With Quote