PolyE vs. PolyP for straps - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2014   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
PolyE vs. PolyP for straps

Yea - I found a few threads on this and it seemed people were just digging into using alternatives (2011) to nylon. Anyone have some good data on what they prefer for strapping - Polyester vs. polypro?

thread:

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014   #2

Central Point, Oregon
This is a great question. Our straps are made with 4500lb Polyester webbing. I chose this material for its abrasion resistance and ability to deal with wet and drying well. Polypro is plenty strong but fails much sooner than Polyesters due to the abrasive nature of rafting. Sand gets in everything. We also provide options that include D rings behind the buckles and a more advanced buckle called a Rollercam. Each color can be customized to a particular length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camstramps014.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	980.7 KB
ID:	7587  
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Polyester is stronger and more abrasion resistant. I use a bunch of seat belt webbing in sewn applications (cooler slings) the straps usually come in polypropylene and are cheaper but after a few seasons tend to feel dry and worn out. Never used polyester with a buckle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
This is a great question. Our straps are made with 4500lb Polyester webbing. I chose this material for its abrasion resistance and ability to deal with wet and drying well. Polypro is plenty strong but fails much sooner than Polyesters due to the abrasive nature of rafting. Sand gets in everything. We also provide options that include D rings behind the buckles and a more advanced buckle called a Rollercam. Each color can be customized to a particular length.
Having been a cat boater for so long, I have accumulated a ton of NRS polypro cam straps. I know what you mean about them getting rough & worn. After one season they are like sandpaper on my hands. I do like the ends on the NRS straps because they stay flat and don't fray like others I've used. Bad ends make it a PITA to thread through the cam buckles. I have a new raft coming soon, and I've been thinking about getting some 2 inch straps for the frame & maybe some new 1 inch straps as well. I was very pleased with the polyester tubular webbing I put on my small raft as a perimeter line last year.
Jake - Do the poly straps grip as well as polypro in the cam buckles? Any slippage? Do the ends stay as neat & flat for threading? What about color fading with poly? What are the advantages of the roller cam and what's the price difference?
Old 01-25-2014   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Roller cams are bomber and one of those "how could I look at cam buckle for decades and never think of that?" ideas! It's just a little brass roller that the teeth bite into, but the physics/engineering of it result in a WAY stronger and less prone to slip buckle. Cascade Outfitters sells them on poly straps, and Whitewaterworthy website has good pix of 'em. After many phone calls I managed to get ahold of the inventor and bought a dozen of just the buckles that are now sewn onto polyester webbing from Strapworks (the best all-around site for strappage and raw materials). If just starting out I wouldn't buy anything else - they're a quantum improvement.
1.5 inch straps are a good idea if you have room on D-ring, but I have yet to see a quality 1" strap fail (except for buckle slippage). I have seen boats with peeled D-rings after flips, indicating tear strength of glue or weld not as strong as the strap...
And like Avatard, I've used seat belt webbing to hang coolers (which I've always sat on!) for about 35 years now. After maybe 100 days of use the stuff starts to gets stiff and sometimes fray a bit, usually no big deal to replace but last year I finally broke down and bought 2" polyester and the buckles to adjust (instead of sliders). Nice to be able to raise and lower cooler easily although still a two person job (one to lift one end of the cooler, other to adjust strap through buckle). I'm talking 150 qt. and larger here, which can weigh 250-300 pounds chock full on day one.
Check out the rollercams - I've no interest in their success but applaud better ideas...!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #6

Central Point, Oregon
I have been using my first set of straps for about one year. I have had no slipping issue with the webbing through the buckle. I have a few straps that need to be re-sealed on the ends but that is no worse than others Ive used. The rollercams are easier to get the strap through the buckle. Even more impressive is how tight you can get them. Its like adding a pulley to the system. All the colors I am currently using have not faded a bit. I just got the yellow so cant give a long term opinion of that one yet. The price difference from standard cam to rollercam is about 45% higher. This may get better as they have a new batch of rollercams coming out very soon and expect them to be a little more economical.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Roller cams are bomber and one of those "how could I look at cam buckle for decades and never think of that?" ideas! It's just a little brass roller that the teeth bite into, but the physics/engineering of it result in a WAY stronger and less prone to slip buckle. Cascade Outfitters sells them on poly straps, and Whitewaterworthy website has good pix of 'em. After many phone calls I managed to get ahold of the inventor and bought a dozen of just the buckles that are now sewn onto polyester webbing from Strapworks (the best all-around site for strappage and raw materials). If just starting out I wouldn't buy anything else - they're a quantum improvement.
1.5 inch straps are a good idea if you have room on D-ring, but I have yet to see a quality 1" strap fail (except for buckle slippage). I have seen boats with peeled D-rings after flips, indicating tear strength of glue or weld not as strong as the strap...
And like Avatard, I've used seat belt webbing to hang coolers (which I've always sat on!) for about 35 years now. After maybe 100 days of use the stuff starts to gets stiff and sometimes fray a bit, usually no big deal to replace but last year I finally broke down and bought 2" polyester and the buckles to adjust (instead of sliders). Nice to be able to raise and lower cooler easily although still a two person job (one to lift one end of the cooler, other to adjust strap through buckle). I'm talking 150 qt. and larger here, which can weigh 250-300 pounds chock full on day one.
Check out the rollercams - I've no interest in their success but applaud better ideas...!
Cool. Thanks for the info on the rollercam. So your feeling is that 1.5 straps for the frame is unnecessary overkill?
Old 01-25-2014   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
No, I like 1.5 inch - but depending on total weight of frame and gear and number of attachments, it might be overkill. Just never seen straps fail, unless they're frayed/old/buckle spring missing (Ancra's), etc.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote