Polr cube ice extender - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2017   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Polr cube ice extender

I just came across these on the internet and was wondering if anyone had any real life experience with them.. I watched all the videos and they seem to work pretty well. Although their method is a little skewed due to the lack of thermal mass in the ice chest without the polr cube. Would have been better if they had put a container of plain frozen water of equal mass as the polr cube.. that being said I ordered a few to try out.. here is a link.. also no way connected to the company, just seems like a possible good product. https://getpolr.com/product/polr-cube/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017   #2

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
I don't know anything about the POLR product in the OP.

But my daughter is getting Blue Apron meals delivered.

They have these NORDIC ICE packs by TEMPERATSURE. These Ice packs contain water, ________ and Propylene glycol, (also called propane-1,2-diol, is a synthetic organic compound with the chemical formula C3H8O2. It is a viscous colorless liquid which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste. Chemically it is classed as a diol and is miscible with a broad range of solvents, including water, acetone, and chloroform. from wiki)

They ship the ingredients that need to be refrigerated in a bubble wrap with a couple flat containers of this extended ice.

They strike me as they would be worth saving for car camping but not on rivers.
Disposal of anything but water ain't right.

But I don't know much about this stuff and tend to be skeptical of anything labeled as safe by the manufacturer or business using said product.

I'm looking for answers too.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
All this stuff has to do with "phase change" technology. Water changes phase (changes from a liquid to a solid and vice versa) at 32 degrees F. These products all manipulate the phase change to a lower temp. There is one product that changes phase at 18 F. The thing you have to realize is that that pack stays at 18 degrees untill its all liquid, only then does the temp begin to rise. Can you say freezer cooler. I bought a bunch of these last fall when I became aware of them. Artic Ice is one brand and they have various temp choices. Also a very durable package. Spendy. The other is called cooler shock. Its the 18 degree one. You have to ad H2O and seal the pack with a iron but the process is straight forward and works well. Cheap. Does not seem to be as durable. I have not used any of these but will this season a lot. I will be keeping the buzzards informed on this. Could possibly be a game changer. You can get these, wait for it, you guessed it, Amazon.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017   #4

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomas View Post
All this stuff has to do with "phase change" technology. Water changes phase (changes from a liquid to a solid and vice versa) at 32 degrees F. These products all manipulate the phase change to a lower temp. There is one product that changes phase at 18 F. The thing you have to realize is that the pack stays at 18 degrees untill its all liquid, only then does the temp begin to rise. Can you say freezer cooler. I bought a bunch of these last fall when I became aware of them. Artic Ice is one brand and they have various temp choices. Also a very durable package. Spendy. The other is called cooler shock. Its the 18 degree one. You have to ad H2O and seal the pack with a iron but the process is straight forward and works well. Cheap. Does not seem to be as durable. I have not used any of these but will this season a lot. I will be keeping the buzzards informed on this. Could possibly be a game changer. You can get these, wait for it, you guessed it, Amazon.
Thanks James.

NASA is working on this phase change tech also.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...ents/2077.html

I'm officially saving my daughters packs for Oregon Field Trials.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #5
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I will nerd out with you. I believe it stays cold due to latent heat being required to change state. Its the same concept that refrigeration and air use to "make cold". The difference there is that is a system contiously working to maintain temp. This is kinda just a super up ice cube (since the latent heat of the ice melting is why it feels cold, not just its thermal mass). How well this works, I don't know.
NoCo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #6

Bayfield, Colorado
On a molecular level phase change is pretty dramatic. The energy required to change a individual molecule from a rigid structure to a liquid is huge with water, and supposedly they are improving on that. Cant wait to try them out. Be careful with the nordic ice packs as they are somewhat fragile.
Old 03-29-2017   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Wouldn't freezing a bottle of salt water have the same effect, with a lower melting point, keeping the ice colder.
Old 03-29-2017   #8

laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
I've also seen those flimsy Nordic packs you're talking about from Blue Apron. What if you just cut it open and spilled the contents into a sturdier plastic water bottle to reuse?
Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Putting there liquid into a sturdier container would work. I had to Google what was in a blue ice pack and it turns out to be mostly water but it melts at about 0 degrees and due to a ton of latent heat needed to change its state it melts real slow and cold. Now Ice melting at 0 degrees sounds alot like salt saturated water. Zero degrees Fahrenheit is based on salt saturated water freezing.

I wish I had 2 identical coolers. I'd do an experiment.
Old 03-29-2017   #10

Bayfield, Colorado
I used nordic ice a bunch last year. One of those packs fits just so in my little engle day cooler. Keeps 12 beers cold all day plus cooling down a couple of warm ones. Refreeze seems real fast also. I have had a couple of blue ice packs over the years and their performance has not impressed me although they are bomber strong. No scientific tests mind you, just my impressions. The cooler shock if it had a bomber container would be awesome. But someone mentioned using a more durable container and it would work perfect for that. They come precharged with a granular substance and you add X amount of h20. Could easily be done in a nalgene or...