Piss Poor - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2016   #1

Piss Poor

I saw a couple of Cataract oars in the classifieds, the ad was a day or two old and the price was good so I sent a text to see if they were still available. They were, after several texts back and forth, we had a deal. I had agreed to his asking price. I texted that I could pick them up Thursday, he was good with that, and we agreed on a time to meet that worked with his schedule, and he specified the location. One of my texts said "I will take them".
We had a date, a time, a location, and a price agreed upon, I had stated that I would have 2 one hundred dollar bills for him.
Then, a day later, I get a text from him telling me that he was going to sell them to someone else on Wednesday. "Sorry, but I once held something for a guy and he flaked out".
Had the seller said ANYTHING about first one to get here has them, I would understand. But, he made an agreement and then blew it off. So, I looked up the ad to make sure I had not missed something, it appears that he has a total of 3 posts. At least 2 of them are current classified ads.

I think it is piss poor to make a deal and then 24 hours before the deal is to be done, change your mind. I should have known that $100 each for cataract sgg's with blades was too good to be true.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016   #2

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
These are some pretty sweet oars.

I'll sell them to ya for 115$ ea.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #3

Craigamerica, -
Cash talks bullshit walks. If Im buying something and want it I have the seller agree to a paypal deposit. That way I have a contract and a leg to stand on. Same with me selling stuff. Unless that person gives me a a non refundable deposit its still forsale no matter how many text I get saying they want it.
Last year when I was selling my frame had a guy who had to have it. He couldnt pick it up till the next week. Had him give me a deposit. A week later he emails me and tells me after thinking about it the frame isn't going to work. If I wouldn't have made him give me a deposit I would of been hanging out for a week for nothing.
Also txt and emails are one thing talking on the phone is another level.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm with ya Spencer. Last year I had some kid flake on me after I had spent over $500 and cancelled vacation time with my family so that I could get him the gear. My post about him on the Buzz was not my best moment. Also this last weekend I drove my car to Denver for a business trip (I could have flown) so that I could pick up some stuff from a seller. He just casually said "oh sorry I just sold that stuff earlier". We had a deal and a time worked out but I guess that didn't matter.

Unfortunately Hooligan is right. From now on if I really want something I will pay for it as soon as we make the deal or request a down in order to hold if for buyers. but Spencers point is that is really PISS POOR. I'm really big on this. If you give or take someone's word that should be the end of it and it's really sad that we aren't that way any more. So many people don't care about their "word" anymore. Honor is failing, in fact so many people roll their eyes if you mention the word, especially the Millennials.

A couple of years ago there was a post about this subject. The op quoted a bible scripture that states in the "last days" Men's hearts would fail them. It means that people would lose their Honor, and that promises and their word would mean nothing. You don't have to be religious to see that that is the way things are headed. "money talks" Honor is the "bull shit"
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Unfortunately Hooligan is right. From now on if I really want something I will pay for it as soon as we make the deal or request a down in order to hold if for buyers. but Spencers point is that is really PISS POOR. I'm really big on this. If you give or take someone's word that should be the end of it and it's really sad that we aren't that way any more. So many people don't care about their "word" anymore. Honor is failing, in fact so many people roll their eyes if you mention the word, especially the Millennials.
I agree. People need to stand by their word and do what they say they will. I have no respect for someone who doesn't.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #6

If a man cannot be taken at his word, what has he got?

I did not need the oars, and would not have bothered except that I was going to be driving right by there in less than 48 hours. Its not like I told the guy I would show up next week, it was Tuesday evening, and the time we agreed to was Thursday afternoon.
I have wasted a lot of time waiting for people to show up to buy something, but, I still show up on time, every time. I hate it when people waste my time, so I do everything I can to make sure that I do not waste theirs.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
[QUOTE=spencerhenry;430600]If a man cannot be taken at his word, what has he got?

That has to be about the best question I have ever heard.
You could lose everything, and if you still have your integrity, at least you have something.
Old 04-21-2016   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
You could lose everything, and if you still have your integrity, at least you have something.[/QUOTE]

Words to die by Mattman
Old 04-21-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
You could lose everything, and if you still have your integrity, at least you have something.
Words to die by Mattman[/QUOTE]

Excellent quote. I would alter it slightly to say:

You could lose everything, and if you still have your integrity, at least you have the most important thing.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #10

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Is this really what has become of Mountain Buzz.

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote