Pins and Clips Attachments - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-29-2018   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Pins and Clips Attachments

So, I just got my first cat. A 12.5 foot Sotar Legend. I am going to follow the advice of the people who i bought it from and run pins and clips on it. On my round boats, I run oar locks with oarrights. The flip up kind.

The thing is, I wanted to know if anyone had tried anything besides hose clamps to attach the clips to your oars.

I saw an old post about someone who was trying a punch-lok or Band-it hose connectors. They are the center punch variety. There are also some newer bands called JR bandits that bend the band at a 90 angle and then cut it flush with lock. These seem so much better than the hose clamps. It seems like the hose clamps are a good way to get cut.

Looking for an alternative to the hose clamp

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Doc Andy,
I have run pins and clips for 18 years now, and had not heard of other methods of connection...
The one key ingredient with hose clamps, is a couple wraps of duct tape around them, that way they don't cut your boat, or anything else. Also, don't get the soft NRS style sleeves, get the stiff kind, like carlson makes, or you can also cut your own out of an old plastic barrel.
There may be better ways of ataching, but at least one good thing about the clamps, is that they can be moved and adjusted if you need to.

Congradulations on the little Cat! You are going to have a BLAST in that thing!
Old 10-30-2018   #3

Park City, Utah
I drill a small hole at the top and bottom of the clip, place the clip on the oar with hose clamps, drill the oar, then use set screws, with the hose clamps, to help keep the clip in place. They won’t twist with this method. Some peeps think it will weaken the oar, but I have not had issues on my cataracts.

The next weak point is the shaft of the Carlisle blades I use. I started to use a rivet in the aluminum shaft that goes down the center of the blade. This has eliminated twists from surfs or flips or general beatings. I don’t tend to get too many shark bites in my blades, so these mods have worked well for me.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I've never had any problems with my taped up hose clamps. The nice thing about them is they are easily repaired on the river. Never had to fix them but I have the spare clamps in my kit anyways. I'm not sure what Matt meant with the Carlson parts but I was assuming he meant the stirrups because he talked of cutting a polyethylene drum. I use a strip of a bias ply tire for mine. The bolt is just a 5/8 bolt, I use schedule 80 pvc for my sleeves but they are cheap from nrs so no big savings there. The whole pins and clips set up is simple with very few parts.

You now have both set ups so you can decide with is better, this way no one has to listen to this debate on the buzz again. I'd snap you a picture of my stirrups but this site sucks for this,. Why won't it let me link to my camera. Maybe it's cause I'm on the desktop site using an Android. Idk. Idc.
Old 10-30-2018   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Attach pins/clips to rock w/duct tape, throw in river. For bonus points, include oar-wrongs. Open locks permit so many more options, there's just no argument.
Any who worry/concern that you can't find the "sweet spot" with open oarlocks in difficult water, try it and see. Cocking wrist is instinctual at some point, pins/clips and oar wrongs take all that subtlety away...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm personally not a fan of pins and clips, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

I am a huge fan of running what you know. If you already have convertible Oar rights, I'd suggest sticking with convertible Oar-rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
So, I just got my first cat. A 12.5 foot Sotar Legend. I am going to follow the advice of the people who i bought it from and run pins and clips on it. On my round boats, I run oar locks with oarrights. The flip up kind.

The thing is, I wanted to know if anyone had tried anything besides hose clamps to attach the clips to your oars.

Looking for an alternative to the hose clamp
So that all said...try the P&C with hose clamps first. If you decide you really like them, then look for an alternative to hose clamps.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Some good advice from Mt4runner. ^
Old 10-31-2018   #8

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have always used four hose clamps per clip and instead of duct tape use 20 mil PVC tape for padding and electrical tape over that to secure the 20 mil tape. No sticky mess when you remove it. Been using this method for over 35 years and have never had a clip come loose.
Get all stainless steel clamps, they are usually available at auto parts stores or HVAC suppliers. Size 24 clamps work well on Cataracts without too much tail to secure. I also like the Cascade pins and clips rather than NRS but that's just my experience. I like the stainless sleeve and smaller clip size of the Cascade.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote