Pin Kit - Storage Ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2017   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Pin Kit - Storage Ideas

What do you pack it in and where do you store it in the boat?

I have been using a dry bag clipped to a strap attached to the d-ring on the nose. The bag sits centered against the tubes in the front. My bag is worn out and it consumes valuable/limited passenger space so I'm looking for new ideas. I like the location because it's accessible if I need it but it always seems like it's in the way. Thanks.

cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017   #2

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
My Z drag goes in my PFD and throw bag in the beer holder in my boat. Some PFDs fit the throw bag better than my Zen. I think I'll do the Green for my next PFD.
Old 01-26-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Keep mine in a dry bag, on the front of my raft, as well.
I single boat some things, so I want to be able to reach under the bow of my boat if it is upside down, and easily be able to find my Z-drag and longline. Worst case scenario, I stay well within my ability's if I plan to solo boat, but at least have a chance at self recovery.
I usually make it into a footrest for the passenger, and just leave it clipped, then flip it over the bow of the boat when I unload at camp.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017   #4

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
From a kayaker's point of view: you shouldn't depend on being able to retrieve your z-drag kit from your boat in the case that you actually need to use it. I keep my pulleys and prusik loops in my pfd and wear a throw bag belt with quick release buckle. Maybe there are some pros to also having a kit partially pre-set and attached to a raft, but I would do that as a second line of safety after the initial body kit.

On a related note: I never allow non-locking carabeaners on my raft coming from the kayak safety rule of no non-locking beaners on body or outside of boat. I notice a lot of boaters that don't seem to mind having a whistle or something on a non-locker, but I always advocate its not worth the risk.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1990
If there is a safety kayaker on the trip, I like to have the pin kit in the safety kayak
ben94122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
My first rule for stowing a z-drag kit is that is must be accessible while the raft is upside down. I have flipped before and was not able to get to it and you never know when you will need it, dress to swim rig to flip. I carry my kit strapped to my frame in the front of the boat on the sideboard with a loop strap so there is one cam buckle to remove and I can grab it quickly. I use a Ortlieb dry bag for my kit, I like to keep everything dry and I also carry my first aid kit in it so i have one "emergency" bag when I need it.

The contents of the bag are some what personal and up to you and your understanding of ropes and mechanical advantage systems. The basics are a static rope of appropriate length and diameter. When I do the Grand or other big water situations I take my 200' 11mm rope when I am in Clear Creek in Colorado I take a 50' length of a 9mm rope.

The hardware you will need it at a minimum 2 pulleys (larger the diameter of the pulley the less friction you will have), 6 locking carabiners, 2 prusiks, and anchor material ( I use 20' lengths of tubuler webbing).

You can vary that depending on what you are doing, I carry an extra pulley or two and a lot of anchor material and from time to time I will throw in a set of nuts (rock climbing pro) if I am running something with out a lot of trees.
Old 01-27-2017   #7

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Right, accessibility is key for me as well, thatís why I keep mine in the bow, like mattman. As an alternative, I was considering using it as a back support behind the rower but, in a flip, it might get tangled with some gear. Itís much better to have it isolated in an open, uncluttered area, like on the frame as suggested by jspoon. I also like combining pin and first aid together in a bag. Makes sense for a lot of reasons. Right now Iím leaning toward a horizontal access bag, about 70l. Because of price, I hesitate to buy a good one but this discussion is helping me rationalize the extra expense for something decent.

And for DBK, you might like this. MountainBuzz = extensive discussion solving issues that are not problems. Thanks for your responses.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharris View Post
MountainBuzz = extensive discussion solving issues that are not problems.
Not 100% sure where this is going but ya, we sure can sweat the small stuff.

Plus its getting close to the end of the permit waiting game. The rivers are frozen. The hills are a bit icey. I need a dumping event or a melting event!
Old 01-27-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I use a 40 liter dry bag for my kit and it is more than large enough, also it is red for high visibility.
Old 01-27-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have always stored it in a dry bag on the side boards next to my rowing seat. I have a recent idea that I am thinking about trying. Instead of stopping the bag down with a cam strap what if I used a Astral Rescue Belt (a replacement for the GreenJacket)? If I used the rescue belt then I could attach the release pull strap/ball thing to the handle of the watershed bag, then I could just grab the handle to the bag and pull hard and the bag would release.

Im just trying to think of the easiest way to free the bag quickly in an emergency or while the boat is upside down. However in reality your z-drag kit is like backcountry Avy gear, you carry it to rescue others and they should carry it to rescue you.

After a bad experience a few years back when a throw bag rope snapped while my boat was pinned I started carrying a pretty serious pin kit. Now I carry a big static rope and all the other good gear. I also put my first aid kit in there. I also carry some gear in my PFD.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote