Perfect 14 ft. Cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2015   #1

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Perfect 14 ft. Cat

So I want a Sotar cat ( Legend only) that I can carry gear and a passenger. I boat in Cail so I want short and fat. Plan: get the Sotar stretched to 14.6 and add 1" to the diameter of tube think that would be 24 ". Slap a Madcatr frame and good to go. Need to carry some gear but want that Tunnel the whole way through the boat. So do I get a cargo bay, metal, or get some kind of mesh bag and add D rings in good spot? All comments welcome. Rip me apart.
( sorry about being so insane on some of my posts. back on meds and not so crazy)
That u Buzz!!!

Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I must have missed your crazy posts.....

I don't think I would go for a Legend in this situation. It is too flat to make it longer. I had a friend who had a 16' and it was like a tank. He sold it. Gear and passenger it is tough to beat an Aire Jag.
Old 09-20-2015   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I agree with lhowmt. And you better order you madcatr now if you want to "slap" it on by the 2017 season. He's at least a year out. You can run a flat mesh on top of your frame and stack gear on that. Takes away. Your cooler will sit in the tunnel area.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015   #4

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I have a 14 foot Legend with 23.5 inch tubes. It's great as a tandem setup and works well when I use it for early season MFS trips with my share of group gear but I should have listened to Ted. It's too big for any thing else. Get the 12.5 or stick with round boats if you want to carry a load of gear. Had a Jag too. Why drive a truck when you want a sports car.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Maybe I'm wrong, but Legend + Madcatr frame = day/play rig in my mind. A passenger/gear cat is something else entirely. Based on the title of this thread it sounds like you're looking for the ever elusive "do it all" cataraft. That's a tall order, and you will have to compromise on some of things you're after. I started with a 14X22 Maravia cat, then switched to a 14X24 Maravia cat. It was a nice cat for 1-2 people and a modest gear load. I'd say to look at what you'll use the cat for most of the time, and go that direction for design & frame. I think you can get pretty close to the perfect 14 foot cat, but not 100%. I have no experience with Sotar cats, but lhowemt has lots and I'd take her advice on them to heart. Good luck with your quest.
Old 09-20-2015   #6

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
I have a 12.5 Legend and will be picking up and 11 footer that I want to make as light as possible. ( next post) This 14 ft. Legend will be for multi day / or passenger trips. I have am NRS frame that will work until the Madcatr comes in. A 14 ft. can carry 914lbs does not seem like allot when u put frame and 2 people on it. Bet that could easily be 250 lbs. Load capacity is over rated in my opinion and would like a boat that will still give me performance. Bet weight ratting is really about 1/2 of what they say. Cali does not have wind or miles of flat water, although I would like to take her down Middle Fork Salmon and Grand ( launch date may 5th) or maybe the S. Salmon That river sounds like my 12.5 and backpack style gear, light as possible.
Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #7

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Sotar ST Cat and a RowFrame chassis. Last I checked, there was a 1 week wait
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainista View Post
I have a 12.5 Legend and will be picking up and 11 footer that I want to make as light as possible. ( next post) This 14 ft. Legend will be for multi day / or passenger trips. I have am NRS frame that will work until the Madcatr comes in. A 14 ft. can carry 914lbs does not seem like allot when u put frame and 2 people on it. Bet that could easily be 250 lbs. Load capacity is over rated in my opinion and would like a boat that will still give me performance. Bet weight ratting is really about 1/2 of what they say. Cali does not have wind or miles of flat water, although I would like to take her down Middle Fork Salmon and Grand ( launch date may 5th) or maybe the S. Salmon That river sounds like my 12.5 and backpack style gear, light as possible.
Sounds like you've got the day/play cat already. So why not get an ST cat & use the NRS frame you already have for your passenger/gear cat? Or perhaps get a round boat instead? Rafts are better suited to gear & passengers. After over 15 years of rowing cats, I switched to a raft last year and couldn't be happier. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2015   #9

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Re:l...Pound for pound of buoyancy, the cat is more efficient. The intricate seams, geometry, and hull friction make the cat best float per buck spent. However I too like the Sotar ST Rafts since they are a USA product
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm not as expert as some of these folks, but I don't see why that would be a bad design. Very close to the Lion 14 but the lion is even bigger still on the tube diameter.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote