Partner stove griddle risers - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2017   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Partner stove griddle risers

Hi all,
I have a four burner and a two burner break apart partner stoves. I have two medium griddles that fit over each half of my four burner stove. One of those griddles would fit over my entire two burner partner stove. My buddy has the large griddle that would fit over my entire four burner stove. The problem is the breakapart hinges on the stoves. The hinges stick up above the centerline, so that the griddle rocks back and forth over the hinge. The rocking griddle makes cooking a no go without adding some risers underneath. I thought about putting 2 pieces of stainless rectangular tubing underneath each end of the griddle to raise it above the hinge. Has anyone come up with a cleaner idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017   #2

., .
I know an outfitter that uses two 1" angle and cut slightly wide than the partner box.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #3

Nampa, Idaho
I was thinking of grinding slots on the tubing so that it is seated on the partner's grate and can't slide around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017   #4

hey andy,

you definitely don't want to put your griddle tight to the grill on the partner stoves. you can overheat the controls and damage them. my partner break apart two burner came with a warning against this and said you should maintain at least a half inch of clearance to the bottom of a griddle. I cut a couple of pieces of rebar and keep them inside the stove for when I use a griddle.
craigfrithsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #5

Portland, Oregon
Andy,

what you are thinking about is almost exactly what partner provides for risers to ensure the stove does not overheat (knobs melt, gaskets melt, pretty much pandemonium across the border). I think the only difference is that you're talking about using tube and Partner provides solid rectangular rods --- i'm sure if you called them they would tell you exactly what they use.

And I agree 100% do not put a full griddle that covers the entire stove --- you won't like what it does to your spiffy stove.

PDX Duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017   #6

Nampa, Idaho
Wow, I had no idea they made risers for griddles. I'll just use their risers. Why reinvent the wheel? Who sells them?
Old 03-30-2017   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
About once a year someone posts about using risers on Partner Stoves with griddles. I was in Partner Steel a few years ago buying a stove, so I asked Bill directly and he told me that they make their Partner griddles with an angled edge to prevent over heating. If you are using a Partner griddle, you do not need a riser. That was what Bill, who owns the company, and designs the stoves & griddles told me. If you are using a different brand of griddle, maybe you'd need one. We use both Partner and other griddles, and have never experienced over heating & melting.

When I got my stove, I went in the back of the shop and watched them build a stove, pretty cool. Totally old school. One guy building the stove by hand. No factory process.

Now, you would need some sort of riser to keep a griddle level if you are spanning the center hinge on a break apart stove, but I'm not sure why you would want to, since Partner makes griddles sized for the break apart stoves, one griddle on each side.
Old 03-30-2017   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
what cataraftgirl said.

Many years ago, I called Partner Steel and Bill gave me the same answer.

I have two Partner Steel Griddles and lost count of the times I had both griddles on my standard P/S 4 Burners.

That setup turns out hot n tasty pancakes for a bunch of campers plenty hot to melt the butter.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
It's like an urban legend that pops up around this time every year. The Partner griddles are specifically made to work with the Partner stoves. Not risers needed. I won't swear that fully covering the stove with a different griddle won't cause an issue. We have also used the cheap Teflon coated griddles with the grease trap on the end for many years without incident. My rafting buddy lives in Pokie and between us I think we have all of their stoves. He has 4 and 6 burner stoves with the stove stands and add-on wind screens. I have the little 2 burner break apart. I first bought the two burner with built in wind screen. I hated the windscreen and sold it.
Old 03-30-2017   #10

Nampa, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
About once a year someone posts about using risers on Partner Stoves with griddles. I was in Partner Steel a few years ago buying a stove, so I asked Bill directly and he told me that they make their Partner griddles with an angled edge to prevent over heating. If you are using a Partner griddle, you do not need a riser. That was what Bill, who owns the company, and designs the stoves & griddles told me. If you are using a different brand of griddle, maybe you'd need one. We use both Partner and other griddles, and have never experienced over heating & melting.

When I got my stove, I went in the back of the shop and watched them build a stove, pretty cool. Totally old school. One guy building the stove by hand. No factory process.

Now, you would need some sort of riser to keep a griddle level if you are spanning the center hinge on a break apart stove, but I'm not sure why you would want to, since Partner makes griddles sized for the break apart stoves, one griddle on each side.
My griddles have the beveled edges and are made by partner, so i don't need to worry about melting the internals of the stove. Even though I have the 2 griddles that fit over each half of the 18", 4 burner stove, it would be nice at times to fit my buddy's large partner griddle. It covers all 4 burners of my stove and is the same footprint of both my 2 griddles together. It has a little more cook surface area than both my smaller griddles because it doesn't have the beveled surface in the middle. Also, even though I have a mini griddle for my Partner 2 burner, it is a really small cook surface. So small, that its hard to even use a spatula.

It would be convenient to have the risers so I could span the break apart hinges and use the larger sized griddles on each stove. Some times, I want separate cook surfaces like cooking sausage and eggs on separate griddles. Sometimes, it would be nice to have one large cook surface. I just called Bill and ordered four rods.