Partner Stove Griddle? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2016   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Partner Stove Griddle?

I see that it's thick anodized aluminum. Has any one used one? Thoughts? Does it get seasoned like cast iron or does everything stick to it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

galljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016   #2

little rock, Arkansas
We bought two for a kids' wilderness camp I'm involved with. I've used them a few times side by side on a four burner Partner stove to make vast quantities of pancakes, garlic toast, breakfast meat, etc. and have been very pleased. No issues with sticking, but when I do pancakes I spritz the surfaces with cooking spray every second or third batch of cakes. Heat distribution is even and good and they seem very durable which one can expect from Partner of course. Can't go wrong IMO. They're not cheap, but buy nice or buy twice as they say.

As for seasoning, I don't think of aluminum cookware (including my anodized GCI Dutch Ovens) that way. It's just a different critter from cast iron. I use some sort of fat (cooking spray, butter or whatever is appropriate) and have never had problems even with sticky, sugary dishes like pineapple upside down cake.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #3

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Everything from partner is high quality and you can't go wrong with the griddle.

It's durable, food doesn't stick, easy to clean, and you can season it just like cast iron if you wanted too but I wouldn't bother.

I personally stay away from aluminum when cooking but since it's anodised you'll be fine. If you're worried about weight it's a great option but I prefer cast iron all the way.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
wickums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016   #4

little rock, Arkansas
Wickums, have you tried the anodized Dutch Ovens? Pretty sweet. I love the black pots, but at 1/3 the weight and with no fussy care and feeding they make a lot of sense for river tripping.
Old 04-21-2016   #5

boise, Idaho
They've been in my wish list for a few years but I already own a grip of cast iron DO's so can't get myself to buy one.

I totally agree though, aluminum is so much easier to clean on the river and you never have to worry about rust or chipping off your seasoning. When I let others use my DO's they always seem to rub off the seasoning and the last thing I want to do is re-season my cast iron in the summer.

Old 04-21-2016   #6

little rock, Arkansas
I won a small one in a DO cook-off and was so impressed I bought a larger one. Like you I have an entire arsenal of cast iron and do still use it on occasion, but the GCIs make nearly every trip while the black pots almost always stay home.
Old 04-21-2016   #7

boise, Idaho
Curious Incoop, do you still use the same general guidelines for cooking with the aluminum do's as you would with cast iron, like charcoal ratios? Is there any noticeable heat differences?

Old 04-21-2016   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Yep. They're interchangeable in my experience. Cast iron seems to hold heat a little longer and distribute it a little more evenly, but I've never had a problem baking whatever I want in aluminum with the same amount of heat (I've always used more charcoal than most people). The only thing I find a bit of a pain is the handle. It'll bend a little if you're not careful.
Old 04-21-2016   #9

little rock, Arkansas
Oh, sorry OP. I'm the hijack king.
Old 04-21-2016   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I personally own 2 PS aluminum dutches, and use the lids as griddles. I've also heavily used two of the large 3 burner size griddles from PS in a commercial setting- breakfast and dinner, 6 day trips, back to back, all summer long.

They perform just OK, IMO. Lots lighter than cast iron. They do warp easiliy, even if you don't douse them in the river to cool them. I think it's just part of the deal with rolled Al.

The cast Al dutches are the way to go for weight savings. The biggest advantage of the PS dutches is that they nest pretty perfectly. Huge space savings.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote