Paco Pad: 1.5" vs 2" - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2018   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Paco Pad: 1.5" vs 2"

I am thinking about getting the full size paco pad. I like the dimensions of this size however it is only 1.5" thick. I already have a 2" thick paco pad and am please with it. I believe it is the guide. I want this pad because they make it in white. Is there a huge difference with that .5"? I will be using this as a deck pad along with a second pad in my double paco sleeping system. Are there any other pad manufacturers that make white?

Thoughts and opinions?

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2018   #2

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
pads

Jacks Plastics in Aztec NM will make you anything any size if you ask, as long as you are not in a hurry.
Old 07-06-2018   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Not a judgement of your age or fitness level (but rather of mine).
I camped for years on ethafoam, then a 1.5" Thermarest, then a 2" Thermarest. Nearing my 40's, I began to avoid sleeping on the ground.

I now have a 3" and love it.

None of us are getting any younger. If 2" is comfortable, it's not likely that 1.5" will be as comfortable and will be perceived as less and less comfortable over the years--and also remember that pads do break down.

Stick with 2", order custom if you have to. Or check out the DIY pads thread.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Ahh your "PACO-PEDIC".

I'm sold on Jack's stuff. Just call them up and order a white one.

The thinner is nice as a deck pad. My 2" are a bit squishy walking around on. In tandem use with your 2", LUX PACO-PEDIC.

Unless you're in a hurry. Don't you launch soon? If you need a loaner, I can send you one of mine for your trip.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I have both and have used them as deck pads.
I recommend the 2".
tmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Great advice. I'm sitting pretty right now with pads, I just want to keep dialing my row rig and a 24" pad will work perfectly. Thanks for the loaner offer! I was jealous of those white pads on Cataract. White makes great sense for us Desert Mudwater rafters.
Old 07-06-2018   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Aire also makes Aire Landing pads, didn't see white, but has lighter colors; Love JPW pads, but Aire is cheaper and some come in 3" depth. Don't work for Aire, just passing along info.
Old 07-06-2018   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
I love my dark blue AIRE pad. Just not in the heat! I already contacted AIRE. They said they donít make white. I have compared white pads, next to yellow, next to nrs light blue/green in the sun. It is impressive how much cooler white stays. My dark blue pads are like the surface of the sun in hot sunshine.
AIRE did say they need an order of at least 1000 in white to justify the order. I donít think white is that popular because it shows dirt and marks. I will say my dark blue pads are wonderful when seeking warmth on a cold Idaho river.
Old 07-08-2018   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
I ordered a full size white 1.5Ē paco pad. Itíll be cooking in the grand in two weeks. Iíll report back soon after
Old 07-08-2018   #10

Ualapue' / High rockies, Colorado / Hawaii
Paddling Since: 1985
I have had many Paco pads and Know Jack well. He makes great stuff. Excellent quality, very expensive. A couple of my Paco pads are 25 years old and still in great shape. I recently got an AIRE Ultra 4" landing pad for $199 and its awesome. My analysis of both is this : Jacks are very expensive because they are made here in the USA. AIRE's landing pads are just as nice and are made over seas. So if you are willing to pay approximately 2x to have a US made product, thats great. If not, Aire landing pads are just as nice from my experience. Also, I personally like the raft style valve that Aire uses over the valve that Jack uses. If you did not already know, Jack is Paco ...
1mauisurf is offline   Reply With Quote