overpriced used boats? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 03-08-2017   #1

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
overpriced used boats?

I am looking to get a raft,new or used.Is it me or do people ask a lot of dough for used boats.Hard to buy a 10-15 year old boat at near new prices.And it seems some $ proposed for even older boats is absurd.Any input would be appreciated.

dreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017   #2

There are good deals out there but they are few and far between and don't last long.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #3

Montrose, Colorado
The great thing about rafts is they are not mechanical, so they do tend to hold their value very well. If a raft has been taken care of (out of the sun, some 303, no rodents), the differences between 1 and 15 years old will often be subtle, and so will the resale price.
For this same reason, people usually don't sell them unless they have a good reason (upgrades, life changes, health issues, or hard up for money). Even if you only use a raft once a year it is usually not costing you money.
It is hard to come up with anything similar. Powered boats, mountain bikes, skis, motorcycles all either cost to own, or depreciate at a rapid rate as 'technology' advances.

Keep your eye out. Good deals do come up, but they are few and far between.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
In the past few years there have been a lot of companies making very good boats at much cheaper prices. For the price of most used boats you can get a RMR, vanguard, ext. So yea, its not always worth buying a used rig. But be warned, the rubber is probably half or less of the total investment if you plan on having a nice cooler, oars, dry boxes, trailer ext. I always tell my friends thinking about a boat that there is tons of hidden cost, for example, I probably have $300 worth of straps, never would of thought to include that much on straps.

The cost seems to never stop for me, its an addiction!
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Yes, rafts depreciate, but that's somewhat subjective to the seller and buyer. As mentioned, they can hold their value relative to the condition of the boat. High end boats seem to lose less value that are in good condition.

If I'm a buyer, I'm looking at brand names and condition. That said, if the boat is 10 years old, even if it's in good condition, I'm not paying anywhere close to what the seller payed. If my 14' Sotar cost $5500 10 years ago, I wouldn't expect someone to pay 10-20% less than what I payed new. 30-35% less would be more reasonable because it's not new, and especially because it's no longer under warranty.

Some folks want almost new prices, I guess if they can get that than they will. Just not from me. I'll pay the cost of a new one but look for sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
I always tell my friends thinking about a boat that there is tons of hidden cost, for example, I probably have $300 worth of straps, never would of thought to include that much on straps.

BOAT - Budget Out Another Thousand
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My dad always compares Boats to Swimming pools, a pool is a hole filled with water that you throw money into, a Boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.
Old 03-08-2017   #8

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
overpriced used boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
But be warned, the rubber is probably half or less of the total investment if you plan on having a nice cooler, oars, dry boxes, trailer ext. I always tell my friends thinking about a boat that there is tons of hidden cost, for example, I probably have $300 worth of straps, never would of thought to include that much on straps.

Plus 1.

Are these spendy used boats rubber only or do they include other stuff like frames and oars. If you can get a used boat with the frame, oars, cooler, boxes, trailer etc., it might be a pretty good deal. My first boat was a used Maravia Diablo that came turnkey with a trailer, frame, 3 1/2 oars, 2 dry boxes, dry bags, cooler, throw ropes, and a lot more. I could have bought a new Diablo for the exact same price I paid for the used. I got a great deal.

The price of the rubber is only about 30-50% of the total once you add on all the other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Definitely know your boat's when you are looking at used in particular.

Some brands have a reputation for lasting a LONG time and holding there value, more so than others. You can search past threads on this site for some good information (and some pointless arguing of opinions to). Also look at advice on checking out used boats before you buy them, I have read some great stuff on mtn buzz( Can't remember the thread though, sorry )

Sometimes you can find a great price from an outfitter on a used boat at the end of the season, might be more beat up, but usually cheaper, and many of the expedition models still have a lot of life left after being used commercially.

Good luck finding a sweet deal on your new ride!
Old 03-09-2017   #10

laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
Just keep searching craigslist often. You'll eventually find a good deal - be ready to jump on it. The Front Range always has something, you just might end up waiting a month or two. Brands to look out for are Aire, Hyside, NRS, etc. Those will last a lot longer than those pvc-only brands. Frames, trailers will add on to the tab, but sometimes you even find those included for a screaming deal.
Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote