Outlaw 140 or used - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2017   #1

Monte Cista, Colorado
Outlaw 140 or used

So, I am looking at purchasing a boat this year and wondering what the quality of the NRS Outlaw 140 is? Does anyone have any experience with these boats? I was considering the Bighorn II frame and not sure if the 7' economy oars are good to start until I can drop more change. I don't plan on getting on any water greater than a III and going to do 2-3 day trips with 2 adults and fur kids. Anyone have any good advice for a newbie on this matter?

Cheers
Terry

Knotquiterite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017   #2

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
So if your looking to save a little money, save on some parts spend on others. I'm a firm believer in spend on rubber, and oars. If you want a quality frame and save some money look at Gary at rowframe.com good product at substantial savings. IM trying to get him to build me a frame this spring when he gets back in business.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Buying in

A great way to save money is to just build a wood frame. I used one for 3 years and my buddy is on his second and has almost 12 years between them. They will last if you take care of them and build it right. You can still strap stuff underneath, dry bags, rubbermaids, etc.. for overnites and you can walk around the frame and fish off it as well. Make it a little longer and you can strap a homemade table, old wooden backboard, poly deck, etc... across the front to have a big space for kids and shade for the coolers. 100 bucks for the towers and 25-50 for wood and hardware. Lots of info on building one on the buzz as well. I'd stay away from economy oars...get at least standard carlisles.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
I was buying on a budget, looked at a number of used boats, and decided to go with the outlaw. I also built a four bay frame using t-fittings, oar towers, and oarlocks bought from Gary at rowframe.com coupled with aluminum pipe I bought in the denver metro area. Added my own baltic birch decking for passenger bench and side rails. I'm pretty pleased with how it is working out at this point, but I can't claim to have a lot of experience with it...I'm just starting to get it out on the water now having made an early spring project out of it.

I don't think 7' economy oars is a reasonable plan for this wide boat. I use 9.5s and they seem about right. The Carlisle are pretty much the least expensive option as far as I can tell.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2004
I would steer you away from the outlaw. I was told to and I've seen a few of them popped at take-outs. I agree with Critter70, rubber, oars, and a Gary frame. I would also add a decent trailer with good tires and working lights (the easiest way to get pulled over after a long float). I would look at the Aire Trib. I will buying one for my next boat. If you are not in a hurry, there will probably be a fair amount of boats on Craig's List. I finally upgraded oars to Cataract oars last year and can't believe it took me sooo long. 7' will be too short for a 14'. 9-9.5 is what you'll want. You can also save money by not buying the most expensive cooler and dry box. I've been using an Igloo marine I bought on CL for $60 and like. I use a larger dry bag for all my cooking stuff. Dry boxes can get very heavy in a hurry. Also, the most important thing is to befriend a gearhead river-rat that has all the shit you don't.... and more. Remember, not everyone needs to have all the gear. I hope this helps. Happy floating!
Porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #6

Monte Cista, Colorado
Thanks for the input folks. I like the idea of building a frame. That would be a huge savings and able to put the funds towards rubber, oars, etc. At least for a year or two. The items like coolers, dry boxes, I was going to go cheap on until later. Didn't think I needed Yeti and aluminum kitchen box right away. Wife has me on a budget but want to make it work. Thanks for the great input.
Old 03-16-2017   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Ok your wife's budget sucks. What I do is when ever I order something I make sure to order her something. Last time I got her some new chacos. If you look in the ads, you will see a commercial raft for sale. Sure it's been dragged over every rock in northern Colorado, but id bet they would order your wife something to make the sale. Remember there is no budget on a gift for her.

Kidding I don't know what the condition of that raft is. It could be great.

But seriously any one know a good divorce lawyer? I might need one if she reads this.
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #8

Monte Cista, Colorado
Damnit, I just bought her new Chacos. This boat will more likely save our marriage than ruin it if it ever comes to that. Hmm, how to approach her with that philosophy about wanting to spend more $ on a rig.
Old 03-16-2017   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I just got a 55 at igloo marine stx from jet delivered for 40 bucks. All it has to do is make me a good seat and keep my beers cold. And for the frame, I'd get railing fittings and if you really want to be cheap, galvi chain link line post. 1.66 od. Don't cheap out on the rubber.
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote