Outdoor cover options? - Mountain Buzz

Old 5 Days Ago   #1

grand junction, Colorado
Outdoor cover options?

I am looking for a reasonable cover option to protect my 14 foot cataraft outside mainly during the summer months. I live in western Colorado where the sun bakes which is mainly what i wish to protect against as i plan to store tubes inside for the winter months. My harbor freight heavy duty tarp only lasted a few months and am wondering what others do. I am considering a car port but am wondering what others use or have come up with. Is a car cover a good option? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G970U using Mountain Buzz mobile app

grandjunktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Many use cheap car covers.

I think cheapies on Amazon with good reviews would your friend.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I had a boat that I covered 12 months a year outside and used a waxed canvas tarp from tarp supply (https://www.tarpsupply.com/canvas-tarps.html), it lasted generally 3-4 seasons of constant use. They're heavy, and a little pricey, but they are pretty damn rugged.

That stuff is like carhartt pants on steroids.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #4

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
These are pricey but I’m going on eight years on my first one and just bought a second cover for my second boat.

https://cascaderivergear.com/shop/me...er-fits-14-15/
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm also in Colorado (8700 ft) and keep a drift boat outside all year. I have been using recycled billboard material as a cover.

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.c...lboard-vinyls/

The billboard material is heavy duty reinforced PVC vinyl with extra UV protection. Printed on one side, blank on the back.

A typical blue plastic tarp will not make it through a single winter at my house, but his tarp is going on 5 years. If the wind is an issue it's worth getting a grommet tool and custom fitting the tarp to your application.

The recycle center is located in Brighton, CO. So if you are coming into the Denver metro area you can save the shipping. These folks also have all kinds of stuff useful to the rafter... used climbing rope, screen mesh, plastic barrels, netting.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
You ever see those hoop house style greenhouses?
That’s what I really want to build for my boat. Cover it with one of those repurposed billboard deals like kengore posted the link to, instead of greenhouse plastic.
Check out “high altitude greenhouses.com”. He builds a bunch of different sized frames, and the PTO style door closures are pretty simple and easy to use.

I’ve been covering mine with shitty tarps for so long, and it’s such a pain in the ass, that all to often I get busy and my boat gets baked in the sun for an extra week or two, which is pretty terrible to do to an old friend that has never let me down.
Would be so nice to just back the whole thing into a boat port after a trip.
Old 5 Days Ago   #7

steamboat springs, Colorado
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
I'm also in Colorado (8700 ft) and keep a drift boat outside all year. I have been using recycled billboard material as a cover.

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.c...lboard-vinyls/

The billboard material is heavy duty reinforced PVC vinyl with extra UV protection. Printed on one side, blank on the back.

A typical blue plastic tarp will not make it through a single winter at my house, but his tarp is going on 5 years. If the wind is an issue it's worth getting a grommet tool and custom fitting the tarp to your application.

The recycle center is located in Brighton, CO. So if you are coming into the Denver metro area you can save the shipping. These folks also have all kinds of stuff useful to the rafter... used climbing rope, screen mesh, plastic barrels, netting.
based on a few of the posts i'd read here, i went this route. can't remember where i ordered mine, but it was $35 or so for a piece of 10x20 foot billboard vinyl. i laid the boat on it, traced around it (allowed extra room for the sides of the boat) and cut it out. installed grommets every foot or so around the perimeter and laced in some paracord. placed it over the boat and cinched down the paracord. it's bomber.
sonofdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you guys leaving the frame on? How about the oar towers?
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #9

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
I leave the frame on and the oar locks in place. I made foam rubber covers for the oar locks so they don't poke through. I also use a piece of 1" dia. x 16' PVC pipe length wise as a ridge pole. I tie the 'ridge pole' in bow and stern to the frame and over the top of the rowers seat in the middle. The ridge pole helps the tarp drain and prevents low spots that would pond water.

I cut the tarp to size leaving about 30" to overlap the sides. I add grommets at 24" on center around the perimeter, laced a rope drawstring through the grommets.

The completed package is tight enough to put on the trailer and tow as is, for long hauls I take off the cover.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #10

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckins View Post
Are you guys leaving the frame on? How about the oar towers?
Windshield washer fluid jugs. cut the tops off big enough to fit the oar locks inside and put them on. That wont poke through a cheap car cover from Costco. I'm on season 5(?) and it spends all year outside. I do use a heavy Costco tarp and my canoe as a roof beam in the winter to keep snow from getting inside.
Years back I also made a cheep split rail frame and put corrugated steel on the roof. it was like 300 bucks and I loved backing under and forgetting it. But I lived in the country so its security wasn't needed.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote

« new tool idea... | - »