Outboard Motor for 16ft Raft - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Unread 6 Days Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Outboard Motor for 16ft Raft

Hi All,

I know, I know, breaking the silence on the river is never a good idea, but I want to be able to use my raft on lakes too.

I have a Aire Tributary 16ft raft with a DRE four bay frame. I am going to have DRE build me a motor mount but I am having trouble finding info on good motors. I want to be able to push my raft on a lake and on occasion push a few rafts on flat sections of rivers. I assume I need a long shaft motor, but what horsepower is best and also what brand motor is best. I am assuming I will go with a four stroke as two strokes will likely be outlawed in the lifetime of my setup.

Any suggestions on motors and HP's would be greatly appreciated.

Corn_Dog_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 6 Days Ago   #2

No personal experience but getting ready to rig my 16 trib with a motor and looking at Mercury’s new 5hp propane 4stroke with a 20 inch shaft.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Days Ago   #3

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
There are plenty of conversations on this in the archives, but 5 hp is plenty for a 16 foot boat, and you can easily push a couple boats barged along side.
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 5 Days Ago   #4

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I've run a 16' gear boat and pushed a 16' cat down 25 miles on Desolation Canyon with a3.5hp Tohatsu short shaft fwiw...no speed demon but worked great.
wack is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Days Ago   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
If your going to use it on a lake too, I'd suggest a 6 or 8 hp engine. Lakes get as windy or more than rivers. You'll want the extra HP on a lake when crossing in the wind.

Get a long shaft or plan to get a jack plate. If your going new, Yamaha, Tahatsu, Mercury, Honda all make a good dependable motor.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Days Ago   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks all, great comments.
Corn_Dog_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Days Ago   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Why would you want to take your 16' whitewater raft on a lake? I haven't shopped for a fishing boat recently, but I bet you could get a used boat and motor for much less than the mount and a propane outboard. Also, the motor and mount can be a PITA to store. I would advise you to find a friend with an outboard for his/her raft and hook up with them for the occasional flat water desert raft trip.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Days Ago   #8

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Tohatsu makes motors for Mercury and Nissan, same motor different branding.
5 hp Tothatsu Sail Pro is what I have and it is great for pushing a barge of boats. Lots of info if you search the threads here.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Hour Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtrat View Post
Tohatsu makes motors for Mercury and Nissan, same motor different branding.
5 hp Tothatsu Sail Pro is what I have and it is great for pushing a barge of boats. Lots of info if you search the threads here.

I have the Tohatsu 25 inch long shaft propane motor, 5 HP, it pushes my 16 foot Avon Pro just fine on flat water with no current, although I've not had it on a lake. My friend Richp here did Lake Bowell some time ago with his motor and a cat IIRC, so it has been done, and as I remember it worked well for him.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 33 Minutes Ago   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
I have a tohatsu 25 in long shaft sail pro 6 horse. It works great on the lake. Top speed on the raft is around 5.5 miles per hr. That’s just what the raft hull speed is. I take the raft on lakes fishing, the bays crabbing.
Bobthegreat is online now   Reply With Quote