Mountain Buzz banner

Outboard Motor for 16ft Raft

12K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Corn_Dog_D 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I know, I know, breaking the silence on the river is never a good idea, but I want to be able to use my raft on lakes too.

I have a Aire Tributary 16ft raft with a DRE four bay frame. I am going to have DRE build me a motor mount but I am having trouble finding info on good motors. I want to be able to push my raft on a lake and on occasion push a few rafts on flat sections of rivers. I assume I need a long shaft motor, but what horsepower is best and also what brand motor is best. I am assuming I will go with a four stroke as two strokes will likely be outlawed in the lifetime of my setup.

Any suggestions on motors and HP's would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
If your going to use it on a lake too, I'd suggest a 6 or 8 hp engine. Lakes get as windy or more than rivers. You'll want the extra HP on a lake when crossing in the wind.

Get a long shaft or plan to get a jack plate. If your going new, Yamaha, Tahatsu, Mercury, Honda all make a good dependable motor.

#7 ·
Why would you want to take your 16' whitewater raft on a lake? I haven't shopped for a fishing boat recently, but I bet you could get a used boat and motor for much less than the mount and a propane outboard. Also, the motor and mount can be a PITA to store. I would advise you to find a friend with an outboard for his/her raft and hook up with them for the occasional flat water desert raft trip.

#9 ·
I have the Tohatsu 25 inch long shaft propane motor, 5 HP, it pushes my 16 foot Avon Pro just fine on flat water with no current, although I've not had it on a lake. My friend Richp here did Lake Bowell some time ago with his motor and a cat IIRC, so it has been done, and as I remember it worked well for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.