Our Ultimate Raft Rig Setup - What would you add? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2012   #1

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Our Ultimate Raft Rig Setup - What would you add?

So we just did a feature in the latest issue of Rapid Mag on the Ultimate Canyon Rig and wanted to hear your thoughts on what we should add (or what you would do different and why). Here is a vid of it going together -

Rigging a Whitewater Raft - Building the Ultimate Canyon Rig - YouTube

and you can read the article online here - Rapid - Early Summer 2012

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't think there is an Ultimate Canyon rig. Every rig is different and everyone likes their own way best. It also depends which rivers you boat on. AIRE for example would catch a lot of silt in Utah rivers, while it's awesome in Idaho/Colorado clean rivers. Hypalon boats are great for rolling, but PVC is stronger and less punctures, but prefers folding or trailoring.

I liked your video for beginners, though I don't think I would recommend buying all big brands for the first boat. Too expensive to make mistakes.

Also.... BAD idea to open shipping boxes at the river. I would recommend putting the boat together in the dry way of your home and once satisfied with everything take it to the river to test it out.

Canyon coolers makes a cooler that sites on the bars, just thought I'd throw it out there since your expert mentioned there are no coolers designed like dry boxes. The Bomber Box 128 Quart [CC128_GRA] - $379.00 : Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers

Alex
Old 06-14-2012   #3
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I just got my Granite 128 Bomber box. It is BadAss!!! It sits real nice between the bars, just need two loop straps. I can't wait to fill it up with steaks and beer.
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012   #4

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the feed back. Good to know about the coolers we'll have to check them out.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Well-produced video, but "Ultimate Canyon Rig" is kind of a misnomer.

It would be better titled "how to set up your first raft" and pitched to "never-evers".
To me, Ultimate Canyon Rig wouldn't have a single detail about how to measure or set up a frame initially, or how far the cooler should sit off the floor, but should be full of wierd little tips and tricks that an experienced boater may not have thought of, but would think, "why didn't I think of that?!" and "I totally have to do that to my rig!".

VERY good tips about buckle/strap positioning.

Fun on-water view, including scouting of the bigger line. Again, good things for never-evers to see!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm not going to call this an ultimate rig, either. That word involves no compromises, which just isn't possible when ordering everything off the shelf.

I have a preference to run AL boards under my frame rails instead of on top, but I also can't take apart my frame. I also have a preference for the DRE oar towers, because they give you some level of height adjustment, and you can always cut the upright for the macro adjustments.

Give River Ray at Tuff River Stuff a call for a drop bag to go under the table and an everything bag for the loose gear at the back of the boat.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #7

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
I'm not going to call this an ultimate rig, either. That word involves no compromises, which just isn't possible when ordering everything off the shelf.

I have a preference to run AL boards under my frame rails instead of on top, but I also can't take apart my frame. I also have a preference for the DRE oar towers, because they give you some level of height adjustment, and you can always cut the upright for the macro adjustments.

Give River Ray at Tuff River Stuff a call for a drop bag to go under the table and an everything bag for the loose gear at the back of the boat.
The everything bag is one of those things that I thought for years was a waste of money. I would spider-web straps through all the gear and never lost anything. Then....I was given an everything bag....Holy Cow, one of the best things that I own for rigging ever. How the hell did I not get one of these before?????

Also, Aire makes a couch, seems stupid, seems ridiculous, seems decadent. This is one of the greatest purchases that I have made, makes camp seating awesome, and leaving it inflated it is easy to attach to the boat. Also a benefit of running a rapid with someone sitting on a couch on my boat!
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #8

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Dan- I should get you a nice flowered slip cover for your couch. Maybe some throw pillows too.....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #9

Calgary, Alberta
I enjoyed this video... thanks.

One comment... without a full load to balance it out you seemed a little nose heavy. Might want to move the frame back a bit if you're running it light for fun to balance that out?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Looks too much like an Nrs assembly video. Nobody assembles their boat for the first time on the banks of a river.