Ortleib dry bags - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-18-2016   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Ortleib dry bags

Has anyone tried or have one of the Ortlieb dry bags with the drysuit zipper? View the DUFFLE at http://www.ortliebusa.com
I am really interested because, although I love Watershed, I have bad arthritis and the watershed zip is pretty hard for me to do, especially when cold or tired or I haven't 303'd it enough lately. It seems the Ortlieb are pretty bombproof, and my reservation is 2fold. One, is it going to be easier for it to get ripped open in a beatdown (via zipper because it doesn't have the benefit of the watershed roll), and two, will it not pack as well not full (it is hard to tell in the photos but if the ends don't secure well squished down that might be a detraction). Not only is the zip going to be easier for me to open, but I like the idea of easier access during the day. Watershed is such a hassle to get into, at least for me with my hands.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't own one, but I have a friend that owns several. Never been on a trip where we've flipped any rafts, but his stuff is always dry. - you still have to pay attention to the end of the zipper (you have to force it closed at the very end) so it's not a quick one handed access like you might think, you still have to use both hands and give a little tug at the end. but they are nice. I have intentions of picking a couple up this spring.
Old 01-18-2016   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I saw a bag from Ortlieb in an advertisement. Type said water proof bag.

Looked to be something I could use.

Ordered same.

The design was really for the back of a motor cycle etc I think. Kind of a fold down and over opening that I think would be fine in the back of a pickup truck or motor cycle type thing. Would not work on a flipped raft tho.

Never the less, I am impressed with the material and bomb proof stitching.

I kept the thing, too much of a hassle to return it from a pro deal.

On the other hand, I suspect the zippers would be as good as a water proof zipper gets.

ihowemt, my hands are for sure not what they used to be. I use Jacks Plastic big bags and several of the watershed bags for incidentals and close at hand stuff in the raft cockpit. On the watershed bags I keep them well 303 lubed and use the method to open as shown in the watershed video. 303 seems to work well for me and when the opening gets a bit more difficult I get out the 303.

dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Thanks Dave-
I should keep a 303 wipe handy in my watershed, definitely.

Is the ortlieb bag you got like the one I posted a link for? Their target audience is definitely motorcycling and bike touring. They have quite a few different styles, and I am curious if yours is the one I am talking about, or a different one. I am guessing it is different, since this one isn't a fold down and over, but want to confirm.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I saw a bag from Ortlieb in an advertisement. Type said water proof bag.

Looked to be something I could use.

Ordered same.

The design was really for the back of a motor cycle etc I think. Kind of a fold down and over opening that I think would be fine in the back of a pickup truck or motor cycle type thing. Would not work on a flipped raft tho.

Never the less, I am impressed with the material and bomb proof stitching.

I kept the thing, too much of a hassle to return it from a pro deal.

On the other hand, I suspect the zippers would be as good as a water proof zipper gets.

ihowemt, my hands are for sure not what they used to be. I use Jacks Plastic big bags and several of the watershed bags for incidentals and close at hand stuff in the raft cockpit. On the watershed bags I keep them well 303 lubed and use the method to open as shown in the watershed video. 303 seems to work well for me and when the opening gets a bit more difficult I get out the 303.

dave
Old 01-18-2016   #5

I had a large duffel along time ago and zipper failed in less that one year. I'll stick with watershed.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
ortlieb waterproof designs

Ortlieb Transporter Rucksack 49 Litre

Above is the photo I found via duckduck search engine.

My ortlieb bag is a medium sized back pack. Did not see it in your ortlieb catalog. Name is Transporter 49 liter. My bag does have waterproof printed on the front cover. The only problem is the body of the bag has a flap cover that only folds once then the flap buckles down to the outside. So it has a one fold flap or at least that is the only way I have got the thing to fold and the straps work as designed.

I suspect this bag would be waterproof from rain etc as in the back of a pickup or motorcycle. I do not think this bag would be water proof in a raft flip.

So for me at least, looking at the advertisement and verbiage, the bag I ordered looked like a waterproof pack.

Before I ever would order from Ortlieb I would get confirmation that my idea of waterproof is the same as Ortlieb idea.

On the other hand. The construction and material looks good to me. I do not have any experience with the Ortlieb zippers. My experience with any waterproof zippers except Kokatat dry suit zippers has not been good over a long time.

I may buy more Ortlieb products some times but would not buy one unless I could see and handle the product.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #7

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Just a thought, the NRS Duffel bags work great. Just as well as the watershed bags without the zip-loc element. I have had mine underwater and with a tight roll, everything stayed dry.
CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #8

Essen, Germany
Paddling Since: 2009
Ortlieb stuff is almost universally used in these parts (that being Europe), but nobody assumes total waterproofness. Then again, we don't have your kind of rafting culture in Europe.

What Ortlieb really is known for more than anything is rugged construction that can take a lot of abuse. But you seem to be looking for stuff that can take a dunking, and that's not the primary use their stuff sees here, or at least not what the brand is primarily known for
Docennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #9
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I have been using the Ortlieb bags for years. I am still using the same bags I bought 4 years ago personally. The zipper is way better than the ziplock style of the watershed. It's nice to reach back on my boat and unzip real quick to pull out something. Rolling around on the ground with a glorified sandwich bag is just not my game. Watershed are of great quality but not convenient like the Ortlieb by any means. I have had way more weight in my bags than I should have and wear them like a backpack going to camp. They have held up perfect and can be submerged with zero water getting in as long as you seat the zipper correctly
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I've had both Ortlieb zipper duffles that I purchased fail on the same trip. The zipper didn't hold up to the sandy environment. That was 6-7 years ago, maybe they've improved the zippers? Idk.

I still have 4 original Watershed Colorado's that work great. Sent a couple in for repairs over the years, good as new. The damage was my fault, no defects.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag