Orioli Momentum - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Orioli Momentum

What are your thoughts on these boats? I'm guessing they aren't supper high quality because I have never heard of the brand, but will it make it down some class lll? One just came up for sale near me for pretty cheap.

Looks to be about a 10'-11' older boat with military valves, two thwarts, what looks to be a welded cataraft day frame, two Carlisle oar shafts/blades with sleeves and oar rights. Also comes with a trolling motor, but I wouldn't use it. Under $500

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015   #2

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
My first raft was a Momentum Oriole I bought from a friend back in 1999 when I was a teenager for about $800, with frame, cooler, Carlisle oars and everything else needed to get on the river (ropes, patch kit, oar locks, cargo floor and netting, etc). It's a 1984 bucket boat that had several small patches, but served me well for 12 years as my only raft until I finally bought a 14' self bailer. I never needed to add patches and I didn't take care of it at all. In fact I was kind of abusive with it. It looks like crap compared to newer boats but still has some life in it. I don't know much about Momentum as I don't think they were in business all that long. I do know that Andy & Bax in Portland used to sell them, so maybe someone there could get you more info about their background. I haven't used it much since I got my bailer, but I did run it down the Wilson river here in Oregon back in December, which is a class 3 run.

To answer your question I've taken that boat down the Rogue, main salmon, upper Clackamas, North Santiam and Deschutes rivers several times.

FYI, mine measures about 11'-4" x 5'-6". Eventually I'd like to replace it with a similar sized bailing boat, like an Aire Puma.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
Thanks for the reply. That is one thing I didn't think of. I just assumed it to be a SB, but there aren't any picture of the floor. Not that it would matter for a little R2 on the Salt or Verde.

Here is the ad with pictures.

With the way he has it set up and the description, lead me to believe he doesn't know much about rafts.

River Raft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I have a buddy who has this exact boat. It is ancient, and has seen a million days on the river and is still kickin.

They are hypalon, and built pretty well. One thing that I note about that boat is that it seems to flex a huge amount. It truly looks like "rubber". You are right about it being a bucket boat, I don't think they made a SB.

He still has it even though he replaced it with a 14 footer a couple years ago. it still holds air just fine.
Old 05-06-2015   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That looks like a fun little boat for only $435! If it's still in good shape, jump on it because you're basically getting a decent deal on the rubber and the frame, oars, and a motor for free. After you get tired of bailing you could probably sell rubber alone for what you paid for the kit and then put the frame on a Mini-max. Just pick up a couple more 8' Carlisles and you're ready to take it down the Grand!

RE:
Quote:
One thing that I note about that boat is that it seems to flex a huge amount. It truly looks like "rubber".
The frame should provide the rigidity you'll want in whitewater.

Remember to check for blown baffles.

If I was in Tucson I'd be on my way right now with every penny of $435 in hand...

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #6

Hillsboro, Oregon
That boat looks like it's in better condition than mine. Hard to tell from my phone, but the frame doesn't look like a good fit with the boat due to the drop rails (is that a cat frame?) interfering with the thwarts. The thwarts are glued in, but you can remove them and install a removable batten attachment system. Mine came with one thwart already removed to fit a cooler. Only last year did I have some NRS removable thwart attachments installed so I can run a paddle crew. Still haven't gotten to do that yet, but maybe with low water this year I'll finally get her out here as a paddle boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #7

Cave Creek, Arizona
I do think it is a cat frame, as mentioned above. Not sure if I would even keep the frame. I might try to sell the frame and oar shafts. I would keep the blades as spares for my 14' Otter oars. I contacted the guy and he said it does have a few patches. I am not as worried about that, but he said he inflated it yesterday and it held air for several hours. If it won't hold air for at least a day, I am not sure I want to buy it. The main concern on my mind is I plan to move up north to guide next year, and I am not making much money right now. I need to save up to be ready for the move and uncertainty of a job, but on the other hand boats don't come up for sale often here.

I have to think about it.
Old 05-06-2015   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Failing patches can be repatched. What you're concerned about are additional leaks (pinhole or worse), seam failures, etc. There are a bunch of threads on here about how to properly inspect a used boat (spray bottle of soap and water, anyone?), so you should definitely read those threads for direction before you go see it.

Also, there are a lot of oriole momentums on Craigslist in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and I've never seen one that cheap. Good luck!

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #9

Charleston, West Virginny
If you can get your hands on it to look, I would. If there's no pinholes, blown baffles, failing seams, rotting/leaking valve boots, working motor and has working mil valves...and I could patch the leaks....I'd probably buy it! But I also tend to buy/trade/sell alot of this kinda stuff.

I also kinda like the transom mount. That woulda been nice for my current crappie fishing boat.

Basically there's like 300-350 in the oars, frame and motor. Rubber would just about be the gravy....that is if you have a use for the boat.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote