Options for buying frame fittings? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2018   #1

Kingsport, TN, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
Options for buying frame fittings?

Hey Buzz,

I am looking to build another frame for this Outlaw 130 I have coming. I plan to weld a good bit of it solid but I think it will be important for the bulk of my joints to be adjustable/removable. HOWEVER, the $25 NRS lopro price tag is killing my plan here.
Any suggestions on fittings you custom guys like to go with or have any connections where I could buy older model lopros?

Thanks!

restes1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd bite the bullet and go for the real-deal forged LoPros. Look at Eddyline welding and a couple of the other custom frame shops--they're doing welded/pinned frames, but still using LoPros on the cooler/seat bars and oar towers.

Here's my own frame and what you can do on a budget: 1 1/4" EMT conduit, very close to 1 5/8" OD and will fit LoPros. The oar towers are welded to the outer rails, the inner/outer double rail sections are one piece on each side. Each crossbar is pinned to the inner rail. Chain link top rail sleeves fit close but loosely inside the crossbars. I used Harbor Freight PTO pins to pin the crossbars to the inner sleeve. I sometimes wish I'd have used NRS LoPros on at least the inner two bars (in my footwell).

I used Hollender fittings for the cataraft drop rails. They're 1 3/4" ID, so I used a slit ring of EMT to sleeve the conduit and bring it out to 1 3/4" and fit inside the Hollender.

Oarlock sockets are 1/2" steel pipe, drilled out to 5/8". They're not adjustable, but there are 3 sockets in each tower, so I can move them in 2" increments.

I think I have under $150 in the entire frame. Maybe $40 in conduit that I had an electrician buddy bend the outer rails, oar towers, and footbar. Most of $100 was spent in POR-15 primer and paint.

If you want cheaper LoPros, buy an old used frame.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
The absolute best deal that I found on aluminum T-fittings was something like $7 apiece from rowframe dot com Gary, assuming the Kee-style fittings do what you want, in other words, they have to be slipped on a tube end, not bolted on like a lo-pro. I also am pretty sure they only come in 1.5", not the NRS 1.25".
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018   #4

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
The absolute best deal that I found on aluminum T-fittings was something like $7 apiece from rowframe dot com Gary, assuming the Kee-style fittings do what you want, in other words, they have to be slipped on a tube end, not bolted on like a lo-pro. I also am pretty sure they only come in 1.5", not the NRS 1.25".
They also come for 1.25 diameter (1.63 OD) pipe.
Old 10-25-2018   #5

Denver, Colorado
Hot damn!
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote