Opinions on coolers and dry boxes - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-22-2014   #1
Keep it right side up

Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Opinions on coolers and dry boxes

I just pre ordered a Hyside 16' xt and am looking at options on coolers and dry boxes. Had an old Avon bucket for about 10 years, frame and boxes are shot as well as the cooler. There are a lot of different brands to choose from so I am looking to the buzzards to help point me in the right direction. Thanks

swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
AAA Inflatables makes a good box. I have a 16' boat and it fits great in my frame set up. Their box is 42"x19" the biggest box I could get for the money without having to go custom. The high dollar coolers are nice, Engle is about the same height as my box so the deck is the same height if they're stacked bay to bay.

ALUMINUM DRY BOX
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That AAA box looks nice and would have worked for me but the site lists it as 47". That would be too wide but 42" is perfect and makes more sense. I missed that when I was shopping for a dry box earlier this year and had Down River custom make one. It was a little more than $500 and is a great box
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014   #4
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If it doesn't fit you must acquit. You may want to wait until you have your frame and boat set up and actually set the cooler or dry box into the inflated boat. The tabs on you dry box should only be welded in place after a careful fitting.
Old 10-22-2014   #5

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
^^^^^ x2 on everything they said ^^^^^
Old 10-22-2014   #6

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I shouldn't say "their box" the one I have is one of their standard sizes, they have 4 standard sizes listed on their site and can obviously build custom. You can search on here and find some dry box threads, I went with the best fit for my boat and a local shop.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
not a big fan of the shoebox lid dryboxes. owned one, doesn't seem as though the lid is as sturdy, it scraped against the box top when closing. the newer designs have boxed over lids with multiple bends. Much more rugged. this sounds like a plug but I've been happy with the canyon inflatables boxes, but that's my only experience with CWI ...

as far as a cooler go as big as you can find. i've got a yeti 120 and 120 just aint enough space. An extra 40 qts is 10 extra gallons of ice! would love to get the nrs big sky 175 if I knew someone who got the nrs discount ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #8

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
not a big fan of the shoebox lid dryboxes. owned one, doesn't seem as though the lid is as sturdy, it scraped against the box top when closing. the newer designs have boxed over lids with multiple bends. Much more rugged. this sounds like a plug but I've been happy with the canyon inflatables boxes, but that's my only experience with CWI ...

as far as a cooler go as big as you can find. i've got a yeti 120 and 120 just aint enough space. An extra 40 qts is 10 extra gallons of ice! would love to get the nrs big sky 175 if I knew someone who got the nrs discount ...
I bought one with shoebox lid last year and took it back and got one that compresses. I looked at Canyon, but their stock stuff wouldn't fit my boat and they were not responsive when I called about a custom one. Not knocking their product - pictures looked great, but service was a bit lacking. Check out Mad Cow Metal works. Paid extra because custom, but it's clear this box will never have an issue. Thickest gauge metal on market.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I have had a great experience with the craftsmanship and customer service at Cambridge welding. Cy is a great guy and is easy to work with. Everything is hand built and custom so no extra charges and he'll put the hanging tabs on where you want them.

I would recommend getting your Boxes and cooler before you build your frame. Contact me directly if I can help in any way.
[email protected]
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #10

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
mad cow for sure. I have 3 dry boxes and have seen many many more (raftig/kayak long time) they are by FAR the nicest.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote