Older Sotar 14' for sale - what do you know? - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Older Sotar 14' for sale - what do you know?

Hello! New here and looking to get into a raft for my family for cheap. A community member has an older 14' Sotar for sale, seems like it could be a good deal. What should I look for? It's weathered but seems sound, it's a hypalon self bailing raft. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	46085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	46087  

momentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Portland, Oregon
Pretty sure SOTAR doesn't/didn't make Hypalon boats. Most likely urethane or some other plastic. Not a bad thing... I would worry about UV degradation if that has been sitting outside for a minute. How much are they asking?
TboneCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
Sotar's aren't hypalon. Which is a good thing.
That boat appears to be about the same vintage as mine(~2002) but that one has seen a lot harder use than mine has.
I LOVE my Sotar.
Check for excessive wear ( rubbing thru the outer layer, fabric exposed) make sure it holds air.
If it's a good deal, I'd buy it.

Ben
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneCooper View Post
Pretty sure SOTAR doesn't/didn't make Hypalon boats. Most likely urethane or some other plastic. Not a bad thing... I would worry about UV degradation if that has been sitting outside for a minute. How much are they asking?

Nope, not rubber, is plastic,and about 25 years old.

Amazing that it still holds air. Ray Kitson, who used to own AAE bought a bunch of them back in the late 90's, AAE stands for American Adventure Expeditions, or as they were called by guides from competing companies, "Assholes About Everything"

Sotar's in general have a checkered past, they had all manner of de lamination problems at one point, then they started using pond liner material at another point, the reason for so many brown Sotar's I'm told, now they are using some sort of super rigid plastic RF welded, some folks like them, but personally I liken them to a cork floating on the water.

When Mike and Amber Kissack bought AAE from Kitson, Ray had already made the switch to Maravia and never looked back.

If you can pick this thing up for between 500 and 750 at the high end, it'd likely serve a private boater for a few more years in MY opinion, much more than that and there are many other options that open up.

The company SOTAR says it's name stands for "State Of The Art Raft", but many others say it stands for "Swim Over To Another Raft" LOL

My 2˘, good luck =)
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Is the car next to it a Mazda 323 by chance..if so is it AWD?
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
My first boat was a new SOTAR, it was tough as hell and a great boat. But 25 years is about the point where it began to fail, mostly in that it lost its ability to hold air and the floor will start to delaminate. The abrasions received over time produced tons of pinholes, large areas would reveal them when soapy water was applied. I'd look for a different boat.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Thanks for the input. I got busy and haven’t followed up with the seller, but I still plan to. She was asking closer to $2k, I will reference this advice and see if she’d halve the price.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongravity View Post
Is the car next to it a Mazda 323 by chance..if so is it AWD?
I think it’s an old Toyota. An awd 323 would probably have piqued my interest anyway! I’ll do a double take.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentum View Post
Thanks for the input. I got busy and haven’t followed up with the seller, but I still plan to. She was asking closer to $2k, I will reference this advice and see if she’d halve the price.
$500 if it includes frame, would be my top dollar
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

NE, Oregon
Don't the valves put this boat pre 1997 ish?

Also this thread is all I ever need to know about sotar..
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...nty-62105.html
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote