Older Maravia or New Tributary or RMR? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2016   #1

Logan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Older Maravia or New Tributary or RMR?

Howdy Gang,

Having a hard time deciding on a new raft set up. I am in the market for a 16' gear boat and haven't found much in my price range. I went and looked at a nice but older Maravia for $2500, it is a strange custom boat with no idea of the age (but the material is in good shape, has c7 valves) and only a few scratches in the urethane. There are no patches on the raft except there are 4-5 small patches on the seams on the floor. But the boat was a custom and has some nice features, like it is wider and has a higher rocker and is longer than the standard models. But is also a bit strange, such as the floor is drop-stitch that looks like it is glued onto a standard floor and has been raised up high (you can see all the way under the boat from bow to stern when it is on the ground). I have never rowed a boat like that and it makes me a bit leary, but I would like to row a nice Idaho boat and I would expect it has a few more years in it. I am sure it is a fine boat but am tempted if I am spending that much money that I should just save a bit longer and buy a brand new Tributary 16 or an RMR 16. They both are around 3K and would come with a 5 year warranty.

What would you do?

FloatyPetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016   #2

Craig, Colorado
I'd definitely do more research on the Maravia before going that direction. Overall, they are tanks and should last a long time. I'd be leary of the customizations and some models of older Maravias have had issues with delamination (very old models) and the floor.

I'd go with a Tributary before a RMR. I think the PVC shell and urethane bladder on the Tributarys will last you longer than the PVC only RMRs. Thought RMRs will be lighter and less cleaning hassle...
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #3

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishn View Post

I'd go with a Tributary before a RMR. I think the PVC shell and urethane bladder on the Tributarys will last you longer than the PVC only RMRs. Thought RMRs will be lighter and less cleaning hassle...
My thoughts too. I'd stay away from custom. I lean to the Trib but the RMR is good too.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
RMR = Heavy

I doubt a RMR will be lighter than anything, except maybe DIB... Just shy of 200LBS for just the plastic on a 16' RMR! The 16' trib is less than 180LBS
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #5

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishn View Post
Thought RMRs will be lighter ...
I think you have that backwards....RMR, while nice, are extremely heavy in my experience.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #6

Craig, Colorado
I stand corrected on the weight issue...
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #7

Madras, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
I bought a new 14' Tributary two years ago and have loved it. It is definitely not the name brand that you are getting with a Maravia or Sotar, but it has held up well for me for the price. I would definitely recommend it.
SamJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #8

Logan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the info. Although I would love to have quality boat like a Maravia, I think I will probably follow everyone's advice and go with a new boat. I bought an old Maravia last season and the floor delaminated on the first inflation. So I have been nervous about older boats ever since, and because I don't know the age of this boat I am even more apprehensive about buying it. Especially because the floor is not laced in like the new boats but appears to be glued in and I would expect it would be a PITA to fix if it does goes bad.

If anyone else is looking at it:
Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

If it will save you a trip I would be happy to let you know what I saw and any measurements I took.
The seller seems like a standup guy and I wouldn't be nervous to buy from him.
FloatyPetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #9

., .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyPetey View Post
Although I would love to have quality boat like a Maravia, I think I will probably follow everyone's advice and go with a new boat.

I would say that Tributary is a small step below Maravia, but in a practical view, Tributary is a great quality boat that handles awesome on the water. As for durability, I also believe that the Tributary would handle a lifetime of private use.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #10

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Maravia=dinosaur skin.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote