Old Halkey Short valves - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Old Halkey Short valves

So it turns out my IK has old H-R short valves. Luckily they are both in perfect working order, but I have no spare if something were to happen on the river which concerns me. Anyone know where I can find a spare? Should I spend cash and have a repair shop replace the valves with C7s, or just replace them my self (PVC boat)?

Thanks

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I just got three of old long valves from sotar. Don't know if they ever used the short valves, but it's worth giving them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
JDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #3

Lotus, California
Paddling Since: 1968
re: short halkey roberts valves

Mark T here. I have a raft repair shop in California. The short HR 690 valves have been long discontinued and only available stock is existing inventory or that have been salvaged from old boats. I have some for sale. The flaw in the valve is that it doesn't take much to "tweek" the stem and then the valve leaks. Caps are important as they protect the stem, but they are also readily lost as the tethers break easily, mostly when the boat is deflated and the cap is hanging by the side of the valve. As for retro-fitting with C7 - C7 or even Leafield D7 is definitely a superior valve - you can step on it and it wont fail. I wouldn't retro-fit unless a HR valve fails and you can avoid that by being careful with your boat.

As for the HR 690 deep valves for SOTAR, Maravia - etc, pretty much the same story - no longer made, available only from existing stock or salvaged.

Retro fitting works - if the existing valves have failed and the rest of the boat has a decent life expectancy, retro-fitting might be worth it. Also, old boats with those valves are potentially being retired often - so used - maybe working valves may appear from time to time indefinitely.

As for your on river spare - like I said, I have some for sale.
rrrlotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015   #4

Moab, Utah
Re-use?

I just replaced the valves on a old SOTAR with new HR short valves. I removed the old valves to find that three were "old short" and one was "old long". Not wanting to cut the boat just yet I tried threading in my new short valves into the old nuts remaining on the inside. Sure enough, they threaded right on, no problems. They all got replaced that way and are holding air just fine.

Everyone on the internets seems to agree that these three are not interchangable...but it seemed to work for me.
scrtsqurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015   #5

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqurrl View Post
I just replaced the valves on a old SOTAR with new HR short valves. I removed the old valves to find that three were "old short" and one was "old long". Not wanting to cut the boat just yet I tried threading in my new short valves into the old nuts remaining on the inside. Sure enough, they threaded right on, no problems. They all got replaced that way and are holding air just fine.

Everyone on the internets seems to agree that these three are not interchangable...but it seemed to work for me.
That's odd. Are you sure your valves were old shorts? Did they have 690 BV or 690 NSBV?

The thing that is odd to me, is I remember reading on Aire's old website that they never used HR valves in their boats. I think I had this confirmed by an Aire employe when I called in for some advise about a year ago. So I am not sure why my boat has HR valves. There does not appear to have been any cuts around the valves at all. Just a reinforcement patch on the inside of the tube which I think was done at the factory when the boat was made.
Old 08-07-2015   #6

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1984
I recently got NOS HR valves from SOAR in my patch kit. All my SOAR's valves are old style. I believe they still sell them as simply "HR valves"
Accessories | SOAR Inflatables

NRS has a guide to determine your valve

Halkey-Roberts Valve Types at NRS.com
Tucson_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015   #7

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I was looking at a 1993 Lynx that had HR valves, not sure which ones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
That's odd. Are you sure your valves were old shorts? Did they have 690 BV or 690 NSBV?

The thing that is odd to me, is I remember reading on Aire's old website that they never used HR valves in their boats. I think I had this confirmed by an Aire employe when I called in for some advise about a year ago. So I am not sure why my boat has HR valves. There does not appear to have been any cuts around the valves at all. Just a reinforcement patch on the inside of the tube which I think was done at the factory when the boat was made.
Yeah, I read the same thing, but I have an ancient 16' Cat with AIRE stamped on the side that is rocking HR valves in it. 3 of them started to leak a little this spring, and I picked up the HR valves sold on NRS, and they threaded in just fine, and hold air with no problem. I'm curious to know a little more about this subject. Might take my cat down to Aire and have them look at it. I even have a spare aircell that I picked up for my cat at Canyon whitewater in Idaho falls last year that also had an HR valve in it. (was brand new never used, scored for $5) - I think some new Aire staff might not be well informed on aire boats that are as old or older than they are themselves.
Old 08-08-2015   #9

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
Yeah, I read the same thing, but I have an ancient 16' Cat with AIRE stamped on the side that is rocking HR valves in it. 3 of them started to leak a little this spring, and I picked up the HR valves sold on NRS, and they threaded in just fine, and hold air with no problem. I'm curious to know a little more about this subject. Might take my cat down to Aire and have them look at it. I even have a spare aircell that I picked up for my cat at Canyon whitewater in Idaho falls last year that also had an HR valve in it. (was brand new never used, scored for $5) - I think some new Aire staff might not be well informed on aire boats that are as old or older than they are themselves.
If you do make it down to Aire, report back.
Old 08-08-2015   #10

Cave Creek, Arizona
If it actually fits, why do so many sources say it doesn't? Liability?

Here is the New Short on NRS. The product description specifically says it will not work with the old nut.

New Short Halkey-Roberts Valve at nrs.com

This says Aire used halkey valves in pre 94 models. My boat was probably one of the last ones.

http://www.nrs.com/repair/boat_reference_chart.asp