Old Avon material questions - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
1. " Wait, what?... Clifton hypalon adhesive is no good on Avon?"

I thought this shit was the best?
Maybe I wasn't clear... I thought 4844 was the best and that was what is "Clifton"... I didn't know clifton made another adhesive called "shore". And I didn't know one was better than another on different flavors of hypalon.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
To be honest with you, I used Stabond initially to apply 4 D-Ring patches and they all came off so I'm staying away from that. It worked fine on my newer NRS tubes previously - which is why my initial question was - what is this material? And what's the right glue?

But the 4844, with accelerator in the third application worked just fine. It was important to rough up the tube hard with the rasping part of the tool with the wheel on it (whatever that's called) before the first coat. I put two thin coats on each side and allowed 20 minutes in the sun for them to dry - then applied the third coat with just a couple of drops of accelerator , waited until 'tacky' - and there was an immediate bond - so get it right first time!

Oh - and I put glue all over the under-side D-ring patches - NOT just on the grey surrounding part. Who knows if it made any real difference but it felt right to do so.
I used 4844 to put a few d rings on last year and they all held so far. I did use accelerator.

I also put it over the entire back of the d ring... I think the inner black part is neoprene on the NRS d rings? It should hold to hypalon with Clifton/4844.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
Scotsman

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1982
Old Avon - Material Questions

Hey Yardsells - I think that's the most thorough answer anywhere on any topic on Mountainbuzz.

Great stuff (your advice - not Stabond, or other). For now, I'm sold on 4844 on a well prepared surface in hot, dry weather - which it always is when rafting - right?

Thanks.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote