Old AIRE Lynx I's with the Ethafoam floor... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2015   #1
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Old AIRE Lynx I's with the Ethafoam floor...

I got a pretty good deal on an older teal Lynx I with the foam floor. It was an unmarked outfitter boat that must have been gingerly used. All of the webbing loops in the floor are in excellent shape, and it's not faded. I have to get a seat, thigh straps, and some sort of foot peg/ bulkhead arrangement. I have always heard the foam floor models performed better than the air floor models, but I haven't paddled one before. I am right around 300 lbs, and I was actually thinking about adding another layer of foam in the floor pocket, there seems to be enough room. Any experience on the Buzz with these? I really like how flat and smooth the floor transition is compared to the Force XL I used to paddle. Glad to have an IK in my quiver again

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
No experience with the AIRE, but many people I boat with (including myself) are running a couple models of SOTAR IK's with foam floors. I just recently had a custom SL IK built with just a wrapped floor which I installed 3" Minicell (or Microcell) foam. Really love it for a lot of reasons. You can get it in many different thicknesses, the only issue is finding a distributor close enough to where the shipping doesn't cost more than the product. The foam I bought came outta Michigan. The Minicell (cross-linked polyethelene) is supposed to be glueable, but I never did search out any info on that.
Dusto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Lucky for me we have a couple places that stock foam hear, but that stuff ain't cheap! I'd love to switch to mini cell foam, I bet I'd love the extra rigidity. I'll most likely start with some regular Ethafoam, if I don't like it, or want to upgrade, I can find uses for the old foam pretty easy.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015   #4

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
it is supposed to have 2 layers of foam. a bottom one that is bigger and has cut outs for the drains, and a smaller one on top.

i can take a picture of mine if you want
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #5

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
it is supposed to have 2 layers of foam. a bottom one that is bigger and has cut outs for the drains, and a smaller one on top.

i can take a picture of mine if you want
Well that depends. The later foam models had only two pieces, but if he has an 80's Lynx than it has more thinner layers that can be folded in half.

To OP, if you were looking last year I would have shipped my foam (from a 94 Lynx) to you just for the shipping cost. I tried to give it away on here, but no one wanted it.

I ordered a inflatable floor and installed it. The big piece of foam took up one side of windows in my 4runner, and could only be transported down the center of a smaller hatch back. Now I just leave the floor in and role it up. Much less of a hassle.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
I boat with hard shell guys, so rolling it up isn't a big issue for me, I'd rather leave it inflated. Mine is from 1999, so I suspect a layer went missing. Thanks for the info everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Tags
aire