Odyssey rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2012   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Odyssey rafts

Looking at a used boat and I'm seeking more info.

I did a search and came up with a couple of threads on these boats, but not much in the way of reviews and not much that's recent.

The lack of reviews or online retailers where you can see prices is a downside, but the fact that they now weld their boats instead of glueing is a plus.

Anyone with some first-hand knowledge on these boats?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012   #2

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
cheap boats are not good, good boats are not cheap
Old 04-14-2012   #3

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob larrabee View Post
cheap boats are not good, good boats are not cheap
Really?

Because these boats cost exactly the same new as a boat from Rocky Mountain Rafts (which people speak positively about), and both of these boats are now welded boats.

I'm looking at a used boat, which is part of why it's cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012   #4

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
My dad has one and he loves it. It may not last as long as some of the top brands but he has had it for 4 years and it has been run a lot on the rogue river. I say for the price they are good boats. They come in green and yellow so if your a duck fan they are perfect.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i used to boat occasionally with a guy who had one. did stuff like gunny gorge,ect in it. the materials are certainly thinner. pretty meh rafts but it'll get you on the river if it's your only option in your price range. like what others said, you get what you pay for.

that said, the RMR boats are getting some good buzz because they are almost twice the denier at a pretty beefy 2000 vs 1100 of the odyssey and are actually pretty sharp, well designed looking boats for that range vs the cheap,goofy look of the odyssey boats. they are the interesting new kids on the block that i am keeping an eye on these days. i may just pick one up one to play with and see what the skinny is on them first hand. Odyssey's...not so much.

good luck with it.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #6
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
I have Odyssey tubes on my 14 foot cat. While not commercial grade, I have been running it hard for 2 seasons and it still looks like new. Like Maxon, it is an economy tube that seems to stand up just fine for the recreational rafter. I would love to have Aire, but just cant afford it so this gets me on the river without breaking the bank.

Snowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #7

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the comments.

I agree that the Oddysey boats look a bit cheap, but I realize that I can't really place why I think they look cheap.
Old 04-16-2012   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have an Odyssey 15.5' ft self bailer and I'm pretty happy with it. I boat alot of desert rivers now, and sold my Aire 14.5' oval boat because the Aire oval boat design with floor and pontoon zippers at river level captures most of the silt in the river and makes unzipping difficult when it's time to do maintenance.

Odyssey looks a little retro to me, not cheap. Reminiscent of Rykken or Campways with the seam tape maybe....

For the price, its a great boat. BTW, exact same boat DRE sells under its logo - made at the same factory.......
cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftbetty View Post
I have an Odyssey 15.5' ft self bailer and I'm pretty happy with it. I boat alot of desert rivers now, and sold my Aire 14.5' oval boat because the Aire oval boat design with floor and pontoon zippers at river level captures most of the silt in the river and makes unzipping difficult when it's time to do maintenance.

Odyssey looks a little retro to me, not cheap. Reminiscent of Rykken or Campways with the seam tape maybe....

For the price, its a great boat. BTW, exact same boat DRE sells under its logo - made at the same factory.......
Thanks for the info! They do look like DRE boats, now that you mention it.
Old 04-16-2012   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
As has been stated above, you get what you pay for. I bought an 16' RMR last fall. I've had her on one trip, in which I also had my 1st pin in rapid 15.

The pin was not the boat's fault, but it did expose some weaknesses. During my wrap a D-ring blew and allowed the frame to shift slamming the dry box into the tube and puncturing the tube. The punctured tube also happened to be the tube that was holding the boat on the rock so the boat was then able to come off on it's own, earning her the name Lucky 15.

As for exposed weaknesses: (1) the D-rings are very beefy and welded on, but the are only welded in a 3/4" perimeter of the d-ring patch. This is definitely not as strong as having the entire d-ring area glued down. (2) the material on my boat is not very thick, I don't know what denier really means, but my boat's material is about 1/2-3/4mm thick. Maybe 1mm. The boat weighs something like 185 lb. 16' NRS Expedition rafts weigh 10 lb. less, and definitely have thicker material.

All that said, do I think that my boat is a bad boat? Hell no!!! We have history now, i love Lucky 15. And I'm sure that as long as I take care of her, she will take care of me.

So go buy the boat you can afford, it'll get you on the water and you'll be able to upgrade someday if you need to.

Besides, I'm glad the d-ring blew and popped a hole. That alone allowed my boat to come off the rock without us having to set up a potentially difficult and dangerous Z-drag. here's a pic of the pin, the yellow dry bag up front is holding 2 30racks of PBR, I'm glad I rigged her tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat wrap.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	4537