Oar Tower Position - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2016   #1

Awesome, Colorado
Oar Tower Position

How centered on your frame all you all setting up your oar towers for the best blend of rowing efficiency and maneuverability? We have a 14' cataraft with a 106" frame and 10' oars that we use both for day trips and multi-day trips (usually class III-IV stuff). I've been trying to keep the oar towers as centered on the frame as possible but we just got an NRS flip seat that pushes the rower's position back quite a bit and the towers have to move back accordingly. Will it be much harder to row from a more rearward position? Does it all really matter at all?

climbbd510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have found as long as the load is balanced not a lot of diff in effort but spins a little slower since the back is moving less than the front. Just my humble opinion, which is not worth much.
Old 07-08-2016   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm lucky in that I have an NRS adjustable frame and move parts around depending on the trip. I work for a balance between centering the towers both in physical distance as well as centering by weight. This has worked out great so far. Just so you know I also have a rear frame that I have used with a loaded boat on multi day trips and while not ideal it wasn't terrible.

That's a paddlin'.
Voodoo003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbbd510 View Post
How centered on your frame all you all setting up your oar towers for the best blend of rowing efficiency and maneuverability? We have a 14' cataraft with a 106" frame and 10' oars that we use both for day trips and multi-day trips (usually class III-IV stuff). I've been trying to keep the oar towers as centered on the frame as possible but we just got an NRS flip seat that pushes the rower's position back quite a bit and the towers have to move back accordingly. Will it be much harder to row from a more rearward position? Does it all really matter at all?
Couple questions. Is this a playboat or gear boat? In both cases don't focus on oar tower position. Focus on weight distribution. If playboating, you want the weight as you are rowing to be just in front of center which required adjusting seating position. (this allows max manueverabiltiy) Then place your oar towers to fit your prefered rowing position

This is more difficult on a gear boat because you need to distribute the weight throughout the boat. I place the cockpit of my gear boat as close to center as possible while distributing the rest of the gear so that the boat is level as possible. Then, once again, I place the oar towers in accordance to my ergonomics.

Especially in a gear boat I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I have seen rowers in the front and back and everywhere in between and the oar'r just learns to drive it from that position.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I like to row from behind center a bit (towers maybe 6" back), I feel like it helps the boat track a bit better and leaves the boat fairly balanced with the passenger weight up front (slightly front heavy). If I moved everything forward so that my towers were on center, I'd be too bow heavy for my liking. Plus like I said above I think being behind center has a tendency to help straighten you out. Yes it'll spin slower but not massively. The overall balance is more important, it'll over ride tower placement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	11929

There is a D-ring directly on center (it's just down from the rope wrap on my oar.). This pic is a bad example of balance, I just don't normally have 4 kids playing games in the bow, usually there's larger, heavier people up front...
Old 07-08-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I dont think it really matters where your oar towers are, look at people (Pacific Northwest) who put them up front. Some people put them way back. I dont think it matters, what matters is weight.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post

Attachment 11929

There is a D-ring directly on center (it's just down from the rope wrap on my oar.). This pic is a bad example of balance, I just don't normally have 4 kids playing games in the bow, usually there's larger, heavier people up front...
Color me crazy, but is your bimini on backwards?
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Color me crazy, but is your bimini on backwards?
No, it folds down behind me (between the seat and gear pile). I have no idea which side says front, it just folds down so that the long tubes are down, that keeps stress off of the mounting tabs.
Old 07-08-2016   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
I dont think it really matters where your oar towers are, look at people (Pacific Northwest) who put them up front. Some people put them way back. I dont think it matters, what matters is weight.
It can, as it relates to the oar swing and front passengers. I like to have a lot of free swing forward (with the handles) so the passenger doesn't get conked by them in a rapid. This keeps our rowing seat back further (gear raft), and weight loading always an issue.
Old 07-08-2016   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree focus on weight distribution first, it's carrying a load make it level first. At this point pivoting is not a huge concern. Most round boats mine included you end up with locks behind the center.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote