Oar tower height for 16' raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2015   #1

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Oar tower height for 16' raft?

I'm outfitting a 16' raft and looking for recommendations for what size oar towers to buy. All NRS frame and towers. The frame width is 72", 22" tubes, 10 ft oars. I will row from a 15" tall drybox with thin pad, so I will probably sit about 4" above the top of the frame. I was thinking about getting 8" NRS oar towers, but was wondering what anyone else is using for towers with similar dimensions. Thanks!

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Try setting up your raft and frame in the yard. Then take the blades off the oars. Use 2x4 blocks to space the oar shafts above the frame. See what feels good. The reason you take off the blades is to simulate the oars in the water.

You can just get the 8s and rotate them outward if too tall, or return to NRS.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #3

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I dont think there really is a height per se for a specific raft length. I like mine set up so that when rowing you have blade contacting the water and the oar handles in your power zone of your body, straight out from your shoulder and about shoulder height maybe a bit higher to clear your legs.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
You can spend hours thinking about this easily. Some folks on here have spent days. What is your time worth? Nothing will even come close to the experience of trying them on the water. NRS has made 8" towers for years; the 10s are newfangled, FWIW.

I row 8"ers on a 48", 66", 72" and soon a 54" wide NRS frame on 11 to 16 foot boats. I'm 6'4" but my 5' nothing cousin handles it fine too. Unless you're a friggin giant sitting on a friggin lazy boy, 8"ers are a safe bet. Buy them and if they for some strange reason don't work sell them off and buy 10s.

Having said all that, I'd love to try a set of 10"ers when I get the chance...
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #5

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm trying to wrap my mind around oar length to tower ratio too. The way I understand, or maybe kind of understand is that the width between the pivot points (oar lock/tower dimension) determine the length of the oars? Looking at Raft Frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Whitewater Stern Frames drawings this seems to be the case.
I have a 10.5 raft, the oar towers recommended are 8 inches out and 12 inches up. The drawings indicate either an 8 or 8.5 oar to balance out with out extra weights. This seems to be longer oars than what my research on the internet has found for my length of raft.
Does oar length relative to width of towers and length of boat collide with practicality? Are we overthnking this?
Are 8 to 8.5 foot oars suitable for a10.5 raft ? Is that to much leverage? Or is the balanced/weight neutral oar (without extra weight)the holy grail. More leverage is it better? Is it geometry + or - a little bit.
Where does boat length come in to this?????????
Dear Abbey, please help.........confused.
Old 05-11-2015   #6

Bismarck, North Dakota
Damn, this just turned into rocket surgery!
Old 05-11-2015   #7

River City, Oregon
Sorry, maybe I should have phrased the question better. It's not a question of raft length. I have a 72" wide NRS frame. I will be using 10 ft oars. I will sit 4" above the top level of the frame. I've been rowing for a long enough time to know what feels comfortable. Just upgrading to a larger boat. I'm simply asking what towers heights people are using for similar measurements. I'm leaning towards 8" NRS towers.
Old 05-11-2015   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001

Psyco, Tell me what you have and I'll tell you what to buy. I have more knowledge than money

OP, since I didn't mention it, I row a Avon Pro and sit on a cooler when I'm not standing on the floor. I love the 10 foot oars and 8" towers. Only when standing and rowing (the epitome of prowess!) do I think about 10"ers.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #9

River City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrown98 View Post
You can spend hours thinking about this easily. Some folks on here have spent days. What is your time worth? Nothing will even come close to the experience of trying them on the water. NRS has made 8" towers for years; the 10s are newfangled, FWIW.

I row 8"ers on a 48", 66", 72" and soon a 54" wide NRS frame on 11 to 16 foot boats. I'm 6'4" but my 5' nothing cousin handles it fine too. Unless you're a friggin giant sitting on a friggin lazy boy, 8"ers are a safe bet. Buy them and if they for some strange reason don't work sell them off and buy 10s.

Having said all that, I'd love to try a set of 10"ers when I get the chance...
Thanks for the input. 8" towers is the way I'm leaning.
Old 05-11-2015   #10

Bismarck, North Dakota
this is what I'm working off of. Seems legit all of the boat dimensions are spot on. The plan was to buy these oar towers and locks and copy the frame dimensions and try 8 to 8.5 oars?