Oar rig questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2017   #1

Red Lodge, Montana
Oar rig questions

Hey all, I just bought an Aire 156R and am now tasked (happily) with rigging it. I am going for a custom NRS frame that is 88"long and 72" wide, 4 bays.

A couple questions have come up during my research process.

1. I am planning on making wood decking over the front as a seat over a drop bag, and also side decking. What do folks do for accessibility of the drop bag with the decking over it? I might use hose clamps with tubing over it, or burly zip ties, haven't decided yet ... but how to you access this space while you are boating? Some kind of hinge system? Maybe it is supposed to have gear that is only used at camp?

2. Oars. I really like sawyer squaretop oars, but man they are expensive. I want my wife to be able to row as well, but I don't think I can afford 350/oar right now, UNLESS you all think it would be a mistake to buy a cheaper oar.

3. I am also looking into dry boxes. I live in Montana so I feel like the obvious choice is a mad cow box. I could go with something cheaper, but they seem so well made. Thoughts?

I know this stuff has been hashed out before, and trust me I have looked through a bunch of threads ... just looking for some personalized advice. I will be doing day and multi-day trips, but not any really big water ... yet.

Cheers,
Pat

mtmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017   #2

open road, southwest
Paddling Since: 1979
Make sure that front deck turns into a kitchen table if you plan on multi day trips
kevinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I use cam straps for holding the lid over a drop bag. In fact.....I use cam straps to hold everything together and in place on my raft. I use webbing to hold the drop floors in place. I have about 10 to 20 straps of each size they make from 1' to 12'. Every year I buy about a dozen or so to replace the lost and worn out ones. Cam straps are your friend for rigging everything.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
1. Use 1 foot cam straps to hold the passenger board/ table on, you can set it up so if you just loosen 1 side, and undo the other, it will hinge.

2. I would love a set of Square tops to if I could afford em', the best oars out there according to some, but honestly you will be fine with Carlisles if that's what you can afford. It's all I have ever had in 17 years of boating, and they will get the job done. How you handle your oars does have something to do with it to. The square tops would be way nicer to row with.
Upgrading to cataract blades would prevent oar keepers from getting caught.
You could save 2 out of 3 Carlisles and use them for a set of spares, if you upgrade later.
Old 03-28-2017   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Piano hinge - stainless if you can find it, tends to be pricey but if you hunt you may find cheap (I got 6' stick at NPS here in SLC for $12 once, it's "normally" around $50...) - is the method of choice for attaching hatch covers, but not if you want the cover to double as table. For that I'd go with "bullet hinge" I think they're called, sort of like door hinge but only one male end that slots into the female. Readily available online.
I like stainless for everything that moves or attaches, but it can be pricey. A little time looking around can result in big savings... problem with most zinc-plated hardware is that even in fresh water environment, after relatively short time the plating wears off and the hinge/D-ring/O-ring/buckle/whatever will start to oxidize. Rust never sleeps...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmed View Post
1. I am planning on making wood decking over the front as a seat over a drop bag, and also side decking. What do folks do for accessibility of the drop bag with the decking over it? I might use hose clamps with tubing over it, or burly zip ties, haven't decided yet ... but how to you access this space while you are boating? Some kind of hinge system? Maybe it is supposed to have gear that is only used at camp?

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eck-25065.html

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017   #7

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack
That's slick. Is it possible to just order the adjustable table legs from anywhere?
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbbd510 View Post
That's slick. Is it possible to just order the adjustable table legs from anywhere?
https://www.camptime.com/collections...r-roll-a-table
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017   #9
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie is old school so he prefers a hefty wood oar, and those square tops are indeed nice. Being carbon fiber wrapped probably means they will survive better than fiber glass wrapped oars but decent 10' wood oars can be had for $100 and one could wrap them as an off season project. Schutzie has used the Carlisles and their brethern, and they do a fine job, but again, Schutzie is old school; his karma is off kilter if he's not rowing with wood. As to the table/front seat issue, of course, even if you are only doing day trips a table gets your lunch out of the dirt and doesn't add much expense.
One thought; where do you plan to store beer?
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017   #10

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I use cam straps 2 at the rear of the decking/bay and 1 or 2 up front depending on the trip. My front deck is not a table but a sleeping platform. As far as the Squaretops go, I can't say enough good things about them. I have Cataract oars that are certainly nice but ended up purchasing the Sawyers for the Grand and they are very different. They feel more balanced and the elasticity of the wood gives the ability to modulate the stroke.

Headed down the Grand on in a 156R
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote