Oar pogies - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The ones you want are "Skulling Pogies" made for Crew guys aka rowing teams...

Nylon waterproof outer with a fleece lining. They are for athletes so shouldn't be crazy hot or sweaty and they are designed for rowing so should be pretty easy to get on and off and have the sealed ends that you would want (rather then a kayak style pogie).

I too like to have direct contact with the oars and I've seriously considered getting some of these. I've also had good luck with fingerless gloves. The ones I have are Wool with Polertec lining and keep me pretty warm till they get fully soaked.

I've done Nitrile gloves before too...and agree that they are surprisingly warm just by themselves. With a thin neoprene gloves or some thin fleece I'm sure it would work great.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
The ones you want are "Skulling Pogies" made for Crew guys aka rowing teams...

Nylon waterproof outer with a fleece lining. They are for athletes so shouldn't be crazy hot or sweaty and they are designed for rowing so should be pretty easy to get on and off and have the sealed ends that you would want (rather then a kayak style pogie).

I too like to have direct contact with the oars and I've seriously considered getting some of these. I've also had good luck with fingerless gloves. The ones I have are Wool with Polertec lining and keep me pretty warm till they get fully soaked.

I've done Nitrile gloves before too...and agree that they are surprisingly warm just by themselves. With a thin neoprene gloves or some thin fleece I'm sure it would work great.

EM, thanks for that! Those look most cool and less likely to foul ya up than what Evercat posted from Wiggy's. I'm on a February grand trip and might just have to snag a pair. Would seem though that one would need to run a line up one sleeve and down the other like mothers do for their little kids to keep them with you in the event of a swim though, but....
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Thanks EM for bringing me back to sculling pogies. Before a GC trip last January I looked into these. I called a company selling these and was informed that the diameter of the shaft sleeve would be too small (smaller diameter for sculling versus whitewater oars). However I just called a sculling company and it turns out that sculling and whitewater oars have the same diameter at the handle. Go figure. I gave up too early on my investigation of sculling pogies based on misinformation. I will definitely look into sculling pogies again and I think this is potentially problem solved.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Some thoughts

I made some once from the shoulder sections of an old wetsuit and some duct tape. Worked fine.
peernisse is offline   Reply With Quote