Oar locks with longer shafts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2018   #1

Augusta, Maine
Paddling Since: 1990
Oar locks with longer shafts?

Well, I am officially tired of the the height of my oar locks on my low side aluminum drift boat being too low. An extra 1.5 " of height would be nice. Does anyone know of oar locks with longer shafts on them beside Regal? Or can extensions be welded onto my existing oar locks. Suggestions appreciated. Even homemade/DIY versions.

blackfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018   #2
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
It is likely easier/cheaper to modify your boat than to try and extend an aluminum or brass shaft.

https://www.pavatimarine.com/product...ati-oar-locks/

I found these with a quick google search but they are a bit spendy at $250 a pair. They give 2" of rise and are a painless way to get what you want.

Does the same thing as the much cheaper Regal's but look nicer than the bushings/spacers.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #3

Augusta, Maine
I did not find those. $250 wow but look beefy. I found some at Ducktrap but they are $180. What is your idea for modifying the boat. My sockets are set into the gunwale between two pieces of aluminium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
While not your traditional oar locks I run pro-loks. I think they where originally designed for drift boats, but have caught on with the whitewater boaters. They do give you that extra bit of elevation. Oar Locks
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd advocate adding to your oar block on the boat rather than making a taller oarlock. A taller oarlock will have the force from your oar much higher than the socket/pin and could cause binding if you don't keep it well lubed.

Got pics?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Either of these solutions will require you enlisting the help of a local welding shop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
I did not find those. $250 wow but look beefy.

I would think you could have a local welding shop fabricate those for you...you can do the polishing yourself to save some $$

Quote:
What is your idea for modifying the boat. My sockets are set into the gunwale between two pieces of aluminium.

Here's a solution on a wooden boat:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/-S79Cao6YpIkKruDzSbYFRm0aG*yUIaUFEjp6OmAlu7AennaEZ0 SPiwtNOFJW4mze2-SceBDz0j1-v5ndd1sB7UIm4TGnHZk/oarlock_fix_2.JPG[/IMG] [IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/-S79Cao6YpIkKruDzSbYFRm0aG*yUIaUFEjp6OmAlu7AennaEZ0 SPiwtNOFJW4mze2-SceBDz0j1-v5ndd1sB7UIm4TGnHZk/oarlock_fix_2.JPG[/IMG]

Take the pic to a local welder and have them quote raising your oarlock block on your aluminum boat.

Or here are some taller bronze oarlocks:

Regal Sporting Technologies Oar Locks
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #7

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
Could your oars be too long or are you not able to get enough vertical travel? I had some nrs superstons on my drift boat and couldn't push the oar handle down low enough to lift the blade high enough. I bought a set of sawyer cobra oar locks and they are great.
sbtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
fwit - looked at sawyer the other day, they have long shank cobras 5" long. vs the normal 3 3/4. ymmv
Old 09-21-2018   #9

Augusta, Maine
Sorry SBTM, but I cannot get the images to work from wooden boat.

I will check out the 5" cobras. I am looking for a quick fix. My hands hit my thighs quite often trying to get the oar blades high enough out of the water. It fits my son just fine, but would be nice to just pull the locks, add a shim and start rowing. I would like a more permant fix, so this Winter might mean a trip to the welder.
Old 09-21-2018   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Iíve been considering the adjustable oar towers from Artisan. Anybody have experience with adjustable oar towers
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote