Oar Locks, Springs, and washers... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Oar Locks, Springs, and washers...

Moving some things around on the frames. Curious to know from everyone how they setup their oarlocks. Are you using the washers and springs? Benefits? Even needed?

Thanks,
Tim

thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
I use the threaded Cobra oarlocks so that I don't need to use springs/washers, but they won't work on all oarstands so you will need to check that first. Ideally in this case you have an oarstand which will allow you to put a bushing in it so that the oarlocks are not touching the oarstand and that metal to metal contact is eliminated.
Old 03-01-2016   #3

I'd love to be helpful but I'm sure green wall will have the definitive answer soon.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have springs, they help me not pop oars as easily.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #5
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarboatman View Post
I'd love to be helpful but I'm sure green wall will have the definitive answer soon.
Someone call for Greenwall?
You know it ,thats what we do.

I prefer not to have my oar locks jumping and bouncing and rattling.Aside from loosing lots of power it's highly annoying to listen to janky frames rowing down around the next corner in the canyon.

So your best bet will be springs depending on what tower you use. Sometimes on brands of frames other than ours that people bring in to be fixed we have to cut those springs to get the proper fit. There is a correct way to do it or the spring will unwind off the key ring and fall in the water. Also there is a correct combo to put all the goodies on and the NRS kit is short a few pieces. We just order all our own hardware and put the kits together.

On all our in house Handcrafted Frames we machine all our own bushings ,pieces ,etc. So we have a no wear no lube required system called, ZT Bushing system. Which basically translates to adjustabilty equaling no slop and friction free down to a zero tolerance level.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	768.6 KB
ID:	11085

If you show a picture of your towers I probably have something around here if you can't get it rectified.

I seem to recall whitewater machine works had a cool spacer he made for Atomic oar locks if you use those, it was a product that was definitely needed, I don't use atomics the range of motion sucks and the horn pinch points damage oars but some cat boaters like them because they are light. I put Sawyer threaded Cobras on every boat out the door pretty much.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Put a washer above and below the spring. Then the spring will not dig into your bushing or your retaing ring. It also will not mater how you cut the spring.

The springs help from popping oars

Or you can buy a total awesome setup from Greatwall
Old 03-02-2016   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
I have actually seen Greenwall's frames and it they are definitely well thought out and pretty sweet setups, to the point that I am looking at getting one for myself once I have the funds.

No, I am not Greenwall in case you were wondering and no, I have not been paid by Greenwall to say kind things. I am someone who has met him as well as seen his products and can speak about them from a non-biased point of view.
Old 03-03-2016   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Be sure you pay up front- that's the killer set up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016   #9

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman4utoday View Post
I have actually seen Greenwall's frames and it they are definitely well thought out and pretty sweet setups, to the point that I am looking at getting one for myself once I have the funds.

No, I am not Greenwall in case you were wondering and no, I have not been paid by Greenwall to say kind things. I am someone who has met him as well as seen his products and can speak about them from a non-biased point of view.
I wish you luck on your quest.
Old 03-03-2016   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
Put a washer above and below the spring. Then the spring will not dig into your bushing or your retaing ring. It also will not mater how you cut the spring.

The springs help from popping oars

Or you can buy a total awesome setup from Greatwall
+1

If you can't find the right size stainless washer from your local hardware store, you can try asking NRS for some. I did. I can't fathom why they don't provide washers to go under the springs...
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote