Oar choices - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Oar choices

Recommend an oar for me and the wife please
Currently have three carlisle outfitter 10' oars with carlisle yellow blades, not counterweighted on a 14 foot boat.
I'm 6'4" and love the leverage they provide and the response when I pull or push hard and the boat moves!
My wife is 5' tall and thinks they are entirely too heavy to row for more than 5 minutes. I'd like to teach her to row more and grow with her, but can't right now.
I've heard counterbalance makes all the difference for smaller folks but am wondering about losing one and having it float blade up rather than flat on the surface to be retrieved later?
I've heard the cataract sgg's are less stiff and are slower to respond, the sgx's are slightly stiffer.
Just picked up 14' NRS E series from 1995 to replace the Achilles bucket from 1985 and looking forward to more fun this spring and summer.
We have two children, aged 5 and 2 currently who will be along on most trips, not doing much that's too crazy now, but as they get older, would love to do more adventurous stuff. We've run the Pumphouse to Two Bridges a few times, the San Juan, the Green/Deso/Grays and loved them all. May try Ruby Horsethief this spring/summer and then Westwater if we find a home for the 2 year old for a night or two.
Thanks for any advice you can give and where to find the best deals on a set.
I'm not into spending 800 on oars, maybe 150-200 per oar, hoping I can use the carlisle blades I have to keep costs down.
P.S. If you have an old set of something or know of a set not getting used, please let me know.
Jon

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
I am currently using Carlisle's as well, and that is all I have used so far. However I plan to upgrade soon. I have a newer NRS Otter which I believe has the same dimensions as your raft (14'x7'). I will most likely upgrade to Cataract SGG shafts. Haven't decided weather or not to go counter balanced. The SGG's are suppose to have flex like a wood oar and give a much better feel to rowing. From what I have read, the SGX shafts are mostly used for large (18' and up) rafts with big loads.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
A few years ago I finally bought SGG counterbalanced oars after using Carlisle oars and blades for fifteen years. I have been very happy with my decision, and would not hesitate to buy them again. That being said I'm mainly fishing and the counterbalanced oars just help me drink my beer easier during the afternoon, in big whitewater I don't know how helpful that is. I put Sawyer blades on mine and they work great. I have no doubt your wife will enjoy them much more than the Carlisle.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you want to remedy the issue cheap, take a set of ankle weights, Velcro around the oar shafts, and then duct tape in place. To prevent loss, make some leashes out of p-cord for your oars, don't ship them to far in or leashes will get caught on the stupid ridge Carlisle has on there blades( you could remedy that by getting some cataract blades, then when you want to upgrade shafts, you already have the nicer blades).

A bit more caution is recommended with counter weights, they will pack an extra punch if you ever let an oar bounce of a rock and hit ya!

5 years old is kinda young to take down westwater, I think, I could tell you a story my S.R.T. instructor told us every year about a 6 year old in westwater, would bring tears to your eyes, be a major buzz killer on this post, PLEASE leave the 5 year old behind for westy till he get's older.

Glad you are getting out there and having fun on the water, and kid's are getting to go on some mellow sections to! There is absolute nothing, like messing about in boats!
Old 01-18-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Kids would stay out of west water for sure, they both love the Rapids, but I love my daughters more! Thanks fir the thoughts so far, I bought some ankle weights just for that a few weeks ago, may try those first.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
My recommendation would be to buy Cataract oar shafts that are counterbalanced. All the parts, like plastic sleeves, oar stoppers/rights and blades will interchange with the ones you have. Use your old pair for spares. I always rig two spares so I have a way to hold both oars when I ship them. For that boat I would go down a size and buy them in 9' 6" instead of 10'. You'll be surprised at how much lighter and more responsive they are over 10'er's on a 14' boat. Oar leashes of some sort are required as any kind of weight added to an oar makes them sink that much quicker.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/boat-shaft-zincs I saw these in an old thread about DIY counterbalances.. They are Zink shaft anodes. I don't know if anyone has used them but they look cheap and look like they would fit right on there.. My cataracts are 1 7/8" diameter and these skip from 1 3/4" to 2". The 2" weight 3.6 Lbs
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/boat-shaft-zincs I saw these in an old thread about DIY counterbalances.. They are Zink shaft anodes. I don't know if anyone has used them but they look cheap and look like they would fit right on there.. My cataracts are 1 7/8" diameter and these skip from 1 3/4" to 2". The 2" weight 3.6 Lbs
The problem with those is they don't weigh enough. The ones I bought from Down River weigh 25lbs. a piece.
Old 01-18-2016   #9

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
The problem with those is they don't weigh enough. The ones I bought from Down River weigh 25lbs. a piece.
25 lbs ??? The cataracts counterbalanced handles are only four lbs. So these are almost the same.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
25 lbs ??? The cataracts counterbalanced handles are only four lbs. So these are almost the same.
Your so right......I'm not sure why I thought mine were 25lbs. Sorry for the misinformation.