NRS Top Cat Frames - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-28-2013   #1

Lewiston, Idaho
NRS Top Cat Frames

Anybody out there have an NRS Top Cat Frame on a set of Sotar Legend tubes by chance???

And if so, how is it working out????

Thanks!

instkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
No I don't.

However my experience with the top cat frame (with the yokes) is that you need a 23 inch diameter tube at minimum in order for the tubes to fit the yokes.

Otherwise the drop rails hang too low for the d- rings and the side rails stick out too far from the edges of the tube.

I'm pretty sure most so sotars are at least 23 inch diameter
Old 12-29-2013   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
What size Legend do you have? The Top Cat frame is 107 inches long, which might be too long for a Legend? Ditto what Avatard said about tube diameter. I used an NRS yoke cat frame with a 22 inch diameter cat, and the fit wasn't great. When I got a cat with 24 inch tubes it worked very well.

Are you building a new frame or buying a Top Cat as is? If you're building new, you could get side rails in whatever size you want. You can buy NRS parts and build your own version of the Top Cat. That's how I've always done my NRS frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013   #4

Lewiston, Idaho
They are 16' by 24" tubes
instkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by instkevin View Post
They are 16' by 24" tubes
I had NRS 14' x 25 tubes a few years back. Your boat has probably about the same waterline.

As long as you keep the weight down to a cooler, drybox, 1 passenger' and everything bag you will be fine.

Anything significantly more and you could overload the boat and if you have a floor it will be very close to the waterline

The 100# frame is a lot of weight to carry, and may restrict the overall utility of the boat. Unless you plan on being a gear boat, consider a two piece trailer frame with a nice lightweight welded frame
Old 12-31-2013   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We have a 120'' hybrid NRS/Speed rail frame with 3/4'' Skidguard side boards and floors on Aire 18' tubes and it is a pig w/ a capital P. Not in the handling dept., just the weight of the frame. 175# It's nice in that it hauls a lot easy to get around on, and we can set up our roll-a-cots and sleep on it, but we'll come up with just about any excuse to use our Sotar set-up on anything other than the GC

I'm with Avatard on figuring our a module type frame. Our next frame will be a multi sectional frame that will work on either the Aire 18' tubes or our Sotar 16' tubes depending on how many sections we need.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote