NRS seat bar weld failures - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2015   #1

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
NRS seat bar weld failures

Saw one break on the river this weekend, brand new. Second one in their group this season. Check the welds from the plate to the seat bar. The welds were small and cold. Could be a real bummer on a multi day. Of course you could always sit on a cooler. These were both brand new, possible QC issue?

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I've had one of their welds break on an anchor mount. They'll replace it but sending in a seat bar is a pain. They've been known to pay freight too though. They always stood by their stuff that I ever heard.
Old 03-30-2015   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Warranty doesn't do you any good on an overnighter... Maybe another thing to do is get a couple extra ubolts and drill holes in the plate so that if they do fail you could always ubolt it together to get down the river...

I have one welded and one bolt on bracket... I wouldn't bother with buying another welded seat bar as the bolt on works just as well and can be removed and adjusted for angle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #4

., .
NRS LIFETIME WARANTY

I noticed a weld starting to crack on an NRS frame accesory (non-critical part) after 14-years of hard use.

I spoke with NRS Customer Service and asked if they would pay a local welder to repair it, because it would cost more to ship back than a little local tack-weld would cost. They informed me that I paid good money for a lifetime warranty and that a new replacement would be in the mail in 2-3 days and that I was to drop the cracked part into the shipping box and ship it back with a pre-paid label they provided.

The only thing they asked was I email them a picture of the crack and provide them a credit card number, so if I hadn't returned the part within 30-days, I would be charged for the new part.

Also, a buddy had his pulley wheel break off of his NRS anchor after more than a decade of commercial fly fish guiding and he asked to buy just the part. They replaced it for free.

I'm convinced NRS stands behind their products!
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #5

portland, Oregon
yeah two beads of weld along that pipe is not going to be strong enough. lot of stress due to the way you can push back on the seat creating stress. its a lever arm thing, If its not welded properly, easy to crack that weld.
Old 03-30-2015   #6

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Warranty doesn't do you any good on an overnighter... Maybe another thing to do is get a couple extra ubolts and drill holes in the plate so that if they do fail you could always ubolt it together to get down the river...

I have one welded and one bolt on bracket... I wouldn't bother with buying another welded seat bar as the bolt on works just as well and can be removed and adjusted for angle...

Did you try and drill and pin the clamp on one one to keep it from spinning?
Old 03-30-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Did you try and drill and pin the clamp on one one to keep it from spinning?
I use my bolt on mount on an elevated fishing seat, never had it spin. I have some big folks (250+) in the boat often that treat it like a truck seat (jump in, lean way back, prob their legs up) and it's never spun. It would have by now if it were going to I assure you.
Old 03-30-2015   #8

Just a heads up. Look at the welds and assess with judgment. Look for short crappy welds. I think the anodized aluminum is not being cleaned properly beforehand and the bar is not getting penetration.
Old 03-30-2015   #9

Not shit talking NRS, I think they have great stuff and never had a seat failure. Just saying its your ass check the welds
Old 03-31-2015   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Spider, thanks for the heads up. I checked my welds and they looked great after 13 years. They seem a bit longer than what I recall from more recently built stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150331_074003.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	9597

I understood the point of your post from the get go (check your welds to avoid problems while on the river.) Sometimes I wonder of people on this forum actually read the post or if they just comment on the title!