NRS River Wing Issues - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2013   #1
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
NRS River Wing Issues

Anyone else have issues with the NRS River Wing? The seam tape on mine fell off after being put up 2 times and on its 3rd assembly in Westwater the rain soaked through not only that seam but the fabric itself. Was also real flimsy in the wind - - far too much fabric, which stretched and did not hold taught.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013   #2

Clatskanie, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I've had mine for 3 years. it's held up to wind and rain on the John Day, Grande Ronde, Deschutes and Rogue so far and been set up probably close to 50 days. No problems with it at all and I keep it vary tight to combat the wind.
I'd let NRS know your issues and see what they can do for you.

Jeff
jnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Get your money back and then buy a quality piece from Wilderness Logics in North Carolina.
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywp View Post
Get your money back and then buy a quality piece from Wilderness Logics in North Carolina.
+1. I have two Wilderness Logics tarps. Marty designed the Wild River for me last year. It's a 12X15 tarp. I also have a smaller WL tarp. I love the light weight and excellent workmanship of these tarps.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Appreciate the feedback. No warranty for me since I bought it here on the Buzz. But it was brand new, never used, and as I say, we set it up twice on the Grand and the seam tape came off one whole seam. Then last weekend on Westwater it leaked and fluttered badly during some thundershowers. Still like the Moss wing best. Peace
Old 07-16-2013   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I had heard of complaints about the NRS River Wing but decided to buy one anyhow. The biggest complaint I heard was that it isn't waterproof. I wanted it for shade more than rain protection and it has worked well the 6 or so times I've used it so far. I took it to the Flat Tops for Fourth of July weekend when I met up with friends who already were camping. Mine was to be a backup but their "shelter dome" blew apart the night before. I was able to tie the wing off to two trees and used my poles with Rockbuster stakes to get it set up ideally with a pitch to drain off the low side of camp. It held up through several powerful storms and did keep us dry. If water pooled up on it I'm sure it would have run through.

For the price, and my expectation, I am satisfied. If yours is falling apart though, I think NRS would like to know about it. They are awesome about repairs and warranty. Send them an email and let us know what they say. Good Luck!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #7
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
I contacted NRS and they are going to take it back. From the catalogue description I think this one is an early version and has been changed. It is not rip-stop, for one, and the colors on it are grey and blue. While hosing it off today to get it ready for shipping (had some sand on it still from when it blew down in Westwater) the water soaked right through the fabric. Also noticed another seam tape has come loose.
NRS is standing behind it and for that they have my respect.
Old 07-17-2013   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJ View Post
I contacted NRS and they are going to take it back. From the catalogue description I think this one is an early version and has been changed. It is not rip-stop, for one, and the colors on it are grey and blue. While hosing it off today to get it ready for shipping (had some sand on it still from when it blew down in Westwater) the water soaked right through the fabric. Also noticed another seam tape has come loose.
NRS is standing behind it and for that they have my respect.
Sweet... gotta love customer service above and beyond what's required.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #9

San Juan Islands, Washington
I have an earlier blue/grey wing and did have a few spots of seam tape falling off and an occasional drip from a seam so I grabbed my handy tube of Aquaseal and went to work fixing the tape and sealing all the seams. Hasn't leaked since. Mine is over 10 years old and still holding up very well, It was first used by NRS for a catalog shoot, then by a local guide for sea kayak and river trips, it was about 3 years old and in very good shape when I got it and should be good for another 10. The biggest improvement I made to it though was replacing the lines with loop straps cam buckles and quick release clips, a quick pull here and there keeps everything tight and an extra set of adjustable poles gives you more options on how you set it up.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote