NRS raft motor mount seating options - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2015   #1

Meridian, Idaho
NRS raft motor mount seating options

I have searched the motor mount threads pretty thoroughly and not found anything relating to where people are sitting when running thier small outboards. I recently found a good deal on a NRS motor mount. It is the frame mount type, it seems as if they have made two types at different times. It places the motor dead center behind the raft. That is great for symmetry and keeping everything going in a strait line but leaves you sitting to the side likely on the mount bar on the tube, probably not great for comfort. I was thinking of using a longer piece of frame tube to mount the stern seat and motor to across the very back of the raft. Obviously either the seat or motor would have to be offset to the side. My 2 HP Honda weighs a lot less than I do so I am thinking it would be better to keep my weight over the center of the back of the raft and off set the motor. Maybe split the difference? Where are you guys sitting when using this style mount?

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016   #2

Hi,

On my cats, I have used an NRS clamp-on mounting plae to attach a seat on the outside rail, facing inward. Eventually I got tired of leaning in so far. So I took a piece of pipe the length of the space between the last two frame members, fit NRS fittings to it, mounted it lengthwise (inboard of the side frame members), and again used the NRS seat mount. This was adjustable both sideways and lengthwise, and was a lot more comfortable when motoring long distances.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm just learning about running an outboard on my raft, but one thing that has helped is having a good long tiller extension. Mine is made of different sized lengths of pvc pipe that fit into each other, the segment that attaches to the tiller has some short cut's length wise so it can just be pushed onto the rubber throttle control, a hose clamp would secure it nicely, but have never needed one.
I sit off center on my cooler when running it. Outboard is centered.
My seating situation seems like it could use improvement, so would love to hear more of what other people do, pictures?

Have learned that the longer your tiller extension is, the more difficult a tight turn is. So keep that in mind.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Replace the top bar with a seat bar with the plate between the lopros. Or as rich suggested mount a clamp-on seat plate between the lopros. The advantage to the clamp-on type is that the spacers create a little more clearance for the seat.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #5

Meridian, Idaho
The exra bar Rich speaks of is likely the ultimate solution for a cat. With the bends in the mount bars to allow them to follow the tube shape I dont think it would work well on a raft unless I figured where I wanted it and welded it in. The clamp on seat mount is what I was thinking in the beginning. I just need to figure a way to get a little to the side of the motor so I can steer. I have seen some locking seat swivels that are pretty low profile that I could likely mount between the seat and the clamp mount. If I push the seat mount and motor out a little from center in opposite directions I might get just enough room and angle. I will likely have to modify the bottom channel on the seat mount or build my own for clearance of the other low pro fittings. Keep the ideas and pictures coming if you have them. If it wasnt 10 degrees outside I might dig my raft out and start some real figuring
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #6

Hi,

Another option would be to take a single NRS fitting on the end of some pipe that will span from the rear crossmember of the frame to the angled portion of the mount. Nail the NRS fitting down, and let the free end of the pipe rest unattached. A seat mount on that pipe could work for you, depending on the curvature of the boat itself, how far back the frame is located, and how long your legs are.

I do know that I've spent a lot of time running typical rafts with centered small HP motors, with nothing more than a Type IV cushion raising me up a bit from the raft tube. Mounting the motor a bit off-center wouldn't be any real problem -- you just build in some correction with your baseline tiller position. And yes, the longer the extension is, the more cumbersome it is to make sharp turns with the tiller.

Let us know what you come up with.

Rich Phillips
Old 01-01-2016   #7

Tabernash, Colorado
Sounds like you sit side way's in your raft when motoring?
Old 01-01-2016   #8

Hi Matt,

Motoring a cat, I actually sit at sort of a 45 degree angle on the seat, arm out to the tiller, but head turned downstream. Never got around to making a custom seat mount to match that angle. Now in a regular raft, I'm pretty much at the angle of the tube as it wraps around the back, which is determined by the design of the boat and how much room there is for my legs.

If the "motor compartment" in the raft was big enough, sitting facing full forward would be preferable. But I'm a big guy with long legs, and the space back there -- even on my 20' cat set up for motoring -- is not exactly roomy. So stretching my legs sideways is more comfortable for me, which is something I can't do if I'm facing full forward. And if you are sitting square on the back of the raft -- beside the motor, so to speak -- then your weight really shoves the tail of the boat down in the water, changing the thrust angle of the motor.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Dxu7879.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	693.3 KB
ID:	10833  
Old 01-01-2016   #9

Tabernash, Colorado
Wow! Cool picture!
Thanks for your help!

Having to figure out new things that I never did when I was learning to guide boats on little rivers. Kinda digging it, more options for river trips are seem possible, and it's a whole new challenge in boating to try and get good at, got to love being able to go back up river to!
Old 01-04-2016   #10

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I use the NRS motormount on a 12ft bucket boat for fishing.

I swap out the seat bar on my stern frame with the motormount. Then I swap out the kick bar with a straight bar. To that bar I've attached a small pedestal bench (no back) that I made, that actually sits perpendicular to the straight bar.

It has me sitting in a position similar to richp's pic, with me straddling the bar, and steering the tiller with a pvc extension. It works really well for me...and the oar towers/locks remain in place to give me a handy fishing rod rest!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote