NRS Otter Rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2009   #1

Cody, Wyoming
NRS Otter Rafts

i am looking at a used NRS SB Otter raft, a 2004 model. the NRS website shows a change in all their rafts in the 2005 model year, so i was wondering if anyone has experience with the older models. anyone with an Otter or other NRS raft have issues with the 2004 models? any concerns i should be aware of before buying this raft? thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman View Post
i am looking at a used NRS SB Otter raft, a 2004 model. the NRS website shows a change in all their rafts in the 2005 model year, so i was wondering if anyone has experience with the older models. anyone with an Otter or other NRS raft have issues with the 2004 models? any concerns i should be aware of before buying this raft? thanks in advance.

A couple of friends have NRS around that vintage and I think the one is an Otter. Never ran them myself but it looks like a good boat. No problems on any of our trips, they seem to hold air well. And they like them.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
They are solid boats. I had a 13', not sure what vintage because I bought it used. I didn't really like it, but I wanted a bigger boat and I'm a bit picky. I found the floor to ride somewhat high, limiting the depth below the frame for gear and footbar, and I also ended up needing taller oar towers. But it was an awesome starter boat, you can't really go wrong.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I spoke to a guy on the Clackamas this last Sunday that was running one. He and his wife loved theirs.
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #5

florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Im not sure how much help this will be, but I love mine, 2005 nrs 13.0 Otter. I like how light it is and I can really maneuver it in some really tight rivers. One warning however because it is so light and rides real high in the water some big water class IV-V can get a little harry LOL. But it really is a great quality raft.
karpiloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #6

The outfit I guide with runs all NRS boats and we have a number from pretty much every year. I would have to say that either the really old ones, as in pre 2004, and the new ones, post 07, are my favorites. They are all good boats, my dad has two highsides and I like the NRS better than those, but the older and newer ones are lighter and row a lot easier. I dont know if it was just what our owner was ordering, or if it was the boats themselves but the older and newer boats sit higher, row easier, and handle big water easier than the boats we bought between 04 and 07.
swimlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #7

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i have an '04 13' otter. love it. light, responsive. perfect day tripper for 3 w/minimal gear or for longer trips for 2 and dog w/ normal gear and food.