NRS Minion >> Propganda Page - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2014   #1

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
NRS Minion >> Propganda Page

I need a new frame for a 16 ft Sotar Cat. Please extoll the virtues of the NRS frame logic to me.

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
The oversized tube thread that you just came from had all the info you need plus some. Is there something more specific your looking for?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
They are easy to take apart for transporting.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Had several frames over the years. Including custom.

A couple frames ago I did my research and for the money NRS could not be beat in my opinion. Look for NRS sales to buy at a discount. Clyde at NRS answered a ton of my questions (he was right on several things where I doubted his feedback) over several months before I made my decision. Never a problem with my NRS frames. As bighorn mentions NRS along with a DeWalt battery drill make it easy to break down and rig the frame if you travel in a small sized vehicle. I recommend using good tape to help you mark and locate frame joints. One of my frames was on a 18 Ft Aire Catboat. I had extra parts and set that frame up in several different styles depending on the trip.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Gary, why not repair the broken welds in the frame you have? There is a ton of advice here on the Buzz about how to weld aluminum. Something to think about it might be cheaper than buying an NRS frame. Although maybe you are looking to go with something you can easily break down or move around as your needs change like the other guys said.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
In my opinion the virtues of NRS frames having nothing to do with quality, performance, durability, cost or any other pyisical characteristic. Their strength is in their availability, which is ultimately due to their catalogue. In this day and age you can get NRS parts anywhere in the western US (I don't know about elsewhere). You can look on craigslist just about anytime, anywhere and find deals on parts and pieces, you can order directly from NRS or pick up parts from an actual store... Here in Montana at least 9 of 10 frames is NRS based or has been adapted to use NRS components. I have a NRS frankenframe, it started as a simple stern frame that I bought used to attach to an old brazed conduit frame... then I bought a new bighorn to take advantage of a larger boat, then added cross bars, anchor system, yada yada until it is what it is. If I started from scratch, I would NOT buy an NRS, I would however still use 1 1/4" material, just so I CAN use NRS components if desired (i.e. lowpro's). The low pro fitting revolutionized raft frames from my experience. I'd love to see other versions of a fitting that allowed the frame components to align on the same vertical center line AND be individually removable (without disassembly of other frame parts). My perfect frame would undoubtedly be a combo of welded, speedrail and lowpro joints, each used in specific areas for specific purposes. But if I had to chose one without the others it would hands down be NRS lowpro's. They are infinitely more useful than speed rail fittings IMHO.

NRS minions exist because NRS carries the majority of the market and they produce user friendly and innovative products. They advertise to the masses, are readily available both via the net AND numerous stores. True they are usually, heavy, expensive and ugly but they're readily available.

I don't love NRS for NRS, I love the things I can build with their stuff.
Old 12-15-2014   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
In my opinion the virtues of NRS frames having nothing to do with quality, performance, durability, cost or any other pyisical characteristic. Their strength is in their availability, which is ultimately due to their catalogue. In this day and age you can get NRS parts anywhere in the western US (I don't know about elsewhere). You can look on craigslist just about anytime, anywhere and find deals on parts and pieces, you can order directly from NRS or pick up parts from an actual store... Here in Montana at least 9 of 10 frames is NRS based or has been adapted to use NRS components. I have a NRS frankenframe, it started as a simple stern frame that I bought used to attach to an old brazed conduit frame... then I bought a new bighorn to take advantage of a larger boat, then added cross bars, anchor system, yada yada until it is what it is. If I started from scratch, I would NOT buy an NRS, I would however still use 1 1/4" material, just so I CAN use NRS components if desired (i.e. lowpro's). The low pro fitting revolutionized raft frames from my experience. I'd love to see other versions of a fitting that allowed the frame components to align on the same vertical center line AND be individually removable (without disassembly of other frame parts). My perfect frame would undoubtedly be a combo of welded, speedrail and lowpro joints, each used in specific areas for specific purposes. But if I had to chose one without the others it would hands down be NRS lowpro's. They are infinitely more useful than speed rail fittings IMHO.

NRS minions exist because NRS carries the majority of the market and they produce user friendly and innovative products. They advertise to the masses, are readily available both via the net AND numerous stores. True they are usually, heavy, expensive and ugly but they're readily available.

I don't love NRS for NRS, I love the things I can build with their stuff.
What he said.

If I could find a locally produced raft frame that was similar in price, lighter in weight, versatile, expandable, reliable, and breakdown like the NRS, I'd be super excited. No such creature exists in the state of Utah. So.....NRS it is. Yes, there are other choices out of state, at varying price points, and they are tempting. I just wish they weren't so far away.
Old 12-16-2014   #8

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
Gary, why not repair the broken welds in the frame you have? There is a ton of advice here on the Buzz about how to weld aluminum. Something to think about it might be cheaper than buying an NRS frame. Although maybe you are looking to go with something you can easily break down or move around as your needs change like the other guys said.

Jim
I admit: "I've had broken welds". That was in 1984. That was the days of migging with a cobra handle. Since the Syncowave came out, "no broken welds". I've had structural failure and from that I /we learned a great deal.

My only beef with the import material stems to its origin. All that you take for granted in the QA (ANSI, ASTM, AASHTO etc) is jepordized when you build on a house of cards. Ask why the Fed has a buy USA policy. It's to prevent failure from overlooked material inadequacies.

How about aluminum alloy that rusts since there is no controls on the constituents. How about lead in the paint of children's toys. Is that wrench you bought killing you from radioactive contamination.

If the above referenced mfg had a made in the USA policy, I would promote them since such activity is vital to the economy.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #9

So you start by referring to people with contempt asking NRS "minions" to tell you their "propaganda" and through it all you had the viewpoint that the pipe and material is a "house of cards" that you'll never buy anyway. why did you even bother wasting peoples time like that? do you treat your friends like this or just people on the internet that your anonymous to?

now you got your propaganda.
Old 12-16-2014   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
This is really a buy US, buy local - anti import propaganda thread. Go 'merica, everything else is junk, specially that asian shit. Is there truly an all American made boat? I seem to recall something recently, that there is one company making or somehow soucing USA made rubber and using it to make it's own boats, DIB maybe?. But nearly all the other American manufacturing companies simply assemble foreign produced components here in the states. Don't get me wrong I don't think we should ship everything oversees but what really is "American Made" anymore? Where is the line drawn, 5%, 10%, 50% - where?