NRS Hualapai Raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2015   #1

SLC, Utah
NRS Hualapai Raft

So I learned to run rivers on a Riken Nez Perce. After honing my skills I started rowing a Riken Hualapai raft for commercial trips on the middle fork and the selway. I always enjoyed having the larger diameter tubes and the extra space for gear, and we hauled lots of gear. The hualapai could literally go anywhere and haul a massive amount of gear. I think this is probably one of the best boats ever made. It tracks amazingly! On the selway in high water I felt safer in the large boat. I have been looking at the NRS version that they apparently bought the specs from Riken after they went out of business. The boat looks solid and I like that NRS has a 10 year warranty. I love AIRE as well, but I think I will be rolling this boat alot and I prefer hypalon for that. I would think that the hypalon NRS gets is better than what Riken bought in the past and this boat would be higher quality than the Riken. So I guess my question is... Is there any reason to not buy this boat?

screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Learned to boat with 14' expedition Nrs and have all ways loved them. Have one still, from the now defunct outfitter, and it is fine after maybe 14 summers commercial on the ark, and 8 years with of a ton of use by me. Including not all ways taking care of it how i should have. I have all most, all ways found there hypalon boats to be well made.
Old 07-28-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
My brother-in-law has an old Riken Hualapai and he loves it. He works for an outfitter that only runs Riken and NRS boats.

You should see their 23' gear oar rig from NRS. It's rather......... LARGE.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015   #4

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
My brother-in-law has an old Riken Hualapai and he loves it. He works for an outfitter that only runs Riken and NRS boats.

You should see their 23' gear oar rig from NRS. It's rather......... LARGE.
That would be sweet. Do they run it as a sweep boat or an oar rig?
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingeagle View Post
Is there any reason to not buy this boat?
Yes, there is a reason: your money would be much better off in a good low risk mutual fund or used to pay down some high interest debt. Other than that--no, they are great boats.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Do it!
Credit card company's be damed! You only live once.
(Just don't use your card for the boat,you wan't to keep there money grubbing hands off your baby!)
Old 07-29-2015   #7

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
That would be sweet. Do they run it as a sweep boat or an oar rig?
It's an oar rig and I think they only use it on Hell's. It has 36 inch tubes.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #8
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Those NRS boats are great. I am an outfitter on the Snake in Jackson, and I will only run Aire and NRS. NRS is by far the best quality hypalon, and if you are rowing mostly gear, I would always go NRS. I buy Aires for running paddle boats because I feel like there is not a better option out there for combination of durability, seating and overall performance.

One thing to think about if you have not already is the Aire 160 DD. It is an awesome boat, and similar in design to the Nez Perce, I believe. The aire floors do sit higher than the NRS though, so consider that for frame set up and cooler/box depth.
b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Any photos of the 23 foot oar rig?
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
NRS are excellent boats. Dealers that used to sell Avon are recommending NRS Expedition rafts now. I like Hyside at a few pounds lighter, but these days I think the NRS is the best hypaon product out there.

Cool that they make the Riken designs! I always assumed they bought Riken. Is this not the case?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote