NRS Hollaender Umbrella mount - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
NRS Hollaender Umbrella mount

Hey Buzzards.

I am wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction regarding one of these Hollaender fittings. My understanding is typical fit for these are larger than the NRS (1.625" I believe) frames. I would like to buy one direct. Any links would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://store.riverboatworks.com/umb...-16488362.html

https://shop.clavey.com/clavey-raft-...tand-p240.aspx

Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
NRS sized frames uses the 1.25" version and some DRE and other frames with the larger diameter tubing use 1.5" fittings.

Downriver is Colorado's largest Holleander fittings dealer and at least for their normal t's and such they have been very reasonably priced and comparable to a lot of what I found online. They sell a similar umbrella setup too though, so they'll probably just want to sell you that. It will get a bit harder if you want a fitting that is one size in one direction and another size in the other. Probably easier to make an adapater or sleeve that sizes down the tubing to fit the umbrella.

This would probably work for your needs... https://www.buyrailings.com/product/...s-assembly/769

p.s. To avoid confusion... most raft frames use schedule 40 pipe (usually aluminum) not tubing. The only difference you need to worry about is that pipe is measured by the inside diameter and tubing is measured from the outside. This is why you would buy a 1.25" fitting to use on material that measures 1.660" on the outside.

p.p.s I use a NRS lopro fitting and some 1.25" pipe on my frame to mount my gopro onto...and it makes an admirable umbrella mount. The shaft of the umbrella fits inside the pipe and sits at just about the right height to sit on the boat and be covered. I don't have the pipe bolted to the lopro just in case I flip or something, but have it tied on with a lanyard. If I flip, its loose enough to just fall off.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
quote:

p.p.s I use a NRS lopro fitting and some 1.25" pipe on my frame to mount my gopro onto...and it makes an admirable umbrella mount. The shaft of the umbrella fits inside the pipe and sits at just about the right height to sit on the boat and be covered. I don't have the pipe bolted to the lopro just in case I flip or something, but have it tied on with a lanyard. If I flip, its loose enough to just fall off.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have considered this. My only concern is when I take down the umbrella to rig to flip I will have a pipe sticking out close to my head. I never like the idea of sharp edges on the boat so I am looking for something that I can take down in a hurry. I suppose I could wing nut the loper down and tilt out of the way when rigging to flip?

Thanks again.
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
quote:
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have considered this. My only concern is when I take down the umbrella to rig to flip I will have a pipe sticking out close to my head. I never like the idea of sharp edges on the boat so I am looking for something that I can take down in a hurry. I suppose I could wing nut the loper down and tilt out of the way when rigging to flip?

Thanks again.
Thats why I have it tied to my frame rather then have it bolted in. I drilled a hole in the pipe a few inches above where the fitting goes into and run a small rope up through it. I leave enough slack so it can slide out and lay across the frame between my cooler and everything bag. I have the lopro ubolt fairly loose so it can pivot easily. My goal was to have it basically fall apart but still stay with the raft if I ever flipped. I have a half bay behind where I sit...so the base is about a foot behind me and I usually have it at a ~30 degree angle away from me when the gopro is on it. Lots of adjustability though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
https://cascaderivergear.com/shop/umbrella-holder/

I've got one of these and while not exactly cheap works really well. It lives in the front of the boat when the wife and kids need the shade. I also use a holleander fitting for the holder in the captains bay and have a section of pipe that lives in my captains bag with a T-Handle allen wrench and I can get it taken town and stowed in well under a minute.

The long and short of it is that I have both styles on my frame and actually prefer the Cambridge Welding one.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Fieldbrook, California
Paddling Since: 1995
I got a mount from DRE that looks like the Clavey one. it seems nice but I haven't been able to use it much because I can't find a suitable umbrella for it. So a bit of a thread hijack here, what kind of umbrellas are folks using in these mounts. I can only find patio style umbrellas locally and none of the online boating shops carry them.
Melvinboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinboats View Post
I got a mount from DRE that looks like the Clavey one. it seems nice but I haven't been able to use it much because I can't find a suitable umbrella for it. So a bit of a thread hijack here, what kind of umbrellas are folks using in these mounts. I can only find patio style umbrellas locally and none of the online boating shops carry them.
I use a Sport-Brella like the one on the link below as it has side flaps and can be rigged different ways depending on the situation/application. Also has 50+ UV protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-.../dp/B07753G3NQ
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4MJ6GS..._t3_B07NV9GQ2X

Tommy Bahama
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

I mounted my lopro to the center of the foot bar behind the cooler, got the NRS pipe by the foot, drilled it and use a spring clip through it to mount on the lopro so it goes on and off quick. I just use a cheap umbrella I think I got at costco. Cut the pole down to the height I wanted on the raft, then have a 1" dowel through the middle of everything to reinforce the pole from snapping off in a wind gust. It's held up very well.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinboats View Post

Melvin,

This is the umbrella that Ceiba provided us with last year for our GC trip. I was very impressed, I just bought one!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2QZQT3..._U6BcDbS0WXZD1