Nrs frame customizeing - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-11-2015   #1

whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 00
Nrs frame customizeing

Over the years I have collected many nrs parts and pieces, a lot of which don't match the boats I have at this time. I would like input on how to shorten cross bars that may have been maybe 72" and convert to say a 66". Now the cuts are straightforward but without machine shop tools how do you set up to take on this project. Is a drill press the only way to acomplish this, it seems like to find the center would be difficult to match the outher side that still have the low pro intact and then to drill completely thru the pipe withough being off on the outher side. Then to tackle a seat bar which would require to split the difference from each side and then I don't even know. Am I overthinking this,is there some tricks maybe setting up a jig is required? Any tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated. The Montana winter is starting to set in and I am getting a little stir crazy and could use a good project.

whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
It's not that hard. Do your work on a flat bench. Set your bolted lo pro to one of your scrap pieces of pipe (just as it sits on the frame). Measure the hole on the lo pro you will use on the cut side and with a t-square mark where to drill. Now set the loose lo pro back in and set on another piece of scrap pipe ( as it would be set on your frame). Drill through your pipe. The lo pro will guide the bit so you will have a straight enough hole through your pipe. Aluminum is very easy to work with. Just take your time. I have a drill press with a big table and fence but never used anything other than a hand held drill. The best way I found to cut the pipe is with the pipe cutters that you spin around the pipe and tighten a little every couple of turns. You get a square cut that way. I hope you understand what I am saying here and find it helpful.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015   #3

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I really like the NRS frame system and I have done a lot of custom NRS stuff. It can be even easier than that if you want. First you need to realize that NRS doesn't use a jig (with the older lo-pros at least) They are just hand drilled with the lo-pro in the pipe end. What that means is that they may not be centered and no two are the same.

They may not be centered but all of them that I have seen are drilled exactly 1.5" inches from the end. So.. Just put the low-pro in the pipe and drill a new hole through both sides @ 1" from the end. This is still just as strong and I have built 4 cat frames that way.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Can't help you with the drilling part, but I took my NRS side rails that I wanted shortened to Home Depot. They cut them and finished the ends (reamed them????) all for free. Turned out perfect and the rubber end caps fit back on snug.
Old 12-11-2015   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Your not overthinking it. If there is any fixed part on the bars, then that fixed part must be centered. Don't measure from the part, just measure the difference. If you have 72" bars and you need 66" bars, Just cut three inches from both ends. Also I should have mentioned above that you do not need a drill press. Just use a hand drill and drill as close to center as you can. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not critical that the bolts are perfectly centered (as long as it's close). Just make sure that they are horizontal as the frame sits on the tubes.
Old 12-11-2015   #6

whitefish, Montana
Thanks for the info it would be nice to take enough measurements to use the original holes in the lopros
Old 12-11-2015   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefish View Post
Thanks for the info it would be nice to take enough measurements to use the original holes in the lopros
Are you working with the newest lopros or previous style or...?
Old 12-12-2015   #8

whitefish, Montana
There is a mixture of different generations of lopros including the new forged ones.
Old 12-12-2015   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Sembob mentions using pipe cutters to get perfect cuts of NRS tubes.

A big ten four from me for using a pipe cutter.

I did some NRS frame mods and my first cut was with a hack saw. I found out that what worked for me on a 2 by 4 was not acceptable on a raft frame tube.

Went to the local hardware store and spent the money for a pipe cutter. I even got the cheap version. The pipe cutter worked perfectly for me.

Highly recommend using a pipe cutter on NRS frame tubes.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015   #10

Hi,

A metal cutting disk/blade on my radial saw does the trick.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote