NRS Barrel Pump - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2013   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
NRS Barrel Pump

Has anybody had problems with nrs barrel pumps? I have 2, both with problems, while the carlson pump I've had easily twice as long as the nrs pumps is still working good as the day we picked it up. Did I just happen to get 2 crappy pumps?

ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013   #2

San Francisco, California
How old is your NRS pump? What sort of problem are you having? Mine never had any problems. I have the one that was made In Italy instead of china. I am not sure if that would make any difference, but it's been bomb proof. My kid have used it even as a water gun.
verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
My barrel pump needed re-gluing. I dont think the elbow is supposed to spin but it puts most of the air into the boat

Rock Solid Guarantee!!! My buddy is on his second river wing. Just keep exchanging for new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013   #4

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
the only issue i have had with mine is where the hose connects to the pump... it comes off some times but i can just push it back on the fitting and its good to go
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
In our group we have three they all have had problems: blown gaskets broken hoses broken ball valves they sound like dieing seals. We have to bring them all on every trip because you never know which one is going to crap out.
Old 07-31-2013   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The problem I had with mine is it doesn't float
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #7

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
In our group we have three they all have had problems: blown gaskets broken hoses broken ball valves they sound like dieing seals. We have to bring them all on every trip because you never know which one is going to crap out.
Sounds like someone need to take care of their stuff? My NRS pump has no gaskets or ball valve what-so-ever. Just one rubber o-ring that needs lubed up a couple times a year. The hose coming off the NRS pump is no different that what other white pumps are using.

I have had mine for 5 years and my only bitch is that it sun fades. Other pumps that are white seem to battle the sun better. 303 is my friend.
Old 07-31-2013   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post

Sounds like someone need to take care of their stuff? My NRS pump has no gaskets or ball valve what-so-ever. Just one rubber o-ring that needs lubed up a couple times a year. The hose coming off the NRS pump is no different that what other white pumps are using.

I have had mine for 5 years and my only bitch is that it sun fades. Other pumps that are white seem to battle the sun better. 303 is my friend.
I think they added a check valve at one point. Maybe for use with valves that don't have one built in? Either way the Nrs guy told me the elbow at the end is supposed to be rigid and keep the hose facing up. Mine swivels and loses air at this point
Old 07-31-2013   #9

Ashlandistan, Oregon
You are not alone. After trying out several NRS pumps over the years I would only purchase a Carlson. Yes, Carlsons have issues too, but in my experience much less than NRS pumps.
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
As a commercial guide for a long time, I have seen and used many hand pumps. I agree that the NRS ones seem to have the most problems and that the Carlson are far superior. I would like tom give a shout out to the DownRiver pumps as I have used those for a very long time without any issues and they are a little cheaper than the Carlson.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote