NRS anchor system - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-12-2014   #1

south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
NRS anchor system

Just got back from first day of fishing with the anchor system. Could not be happier. No more over the side and hauling it back in

chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Awesome, I could not live without my anchor!

What kind (weight) of anchor do you have? The next best step up IMHO is to add a 2:1 to the anchor and a HEAVY anchor that will stop you when and where you want. I run a 45lb anchor with the 2:1 set up, it pulls up easy and fast and stops me when I want to stop. The only drawback to the 2:1 is the speed the rope goes through your hands when dropping. They're cheap and easy to se up but anchors are no longer cheap...

Just some thoughts!
Old 11-14-2014   #3

25# weight with an eye bolt through the middle. Wife works in a gym so I'm going to grab another 10 pound plate, maybe 2 after reading your post.
Got it hooked up for the 2:1 already, learned that from my buddies with drift boats.

Steelhead time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014   #4

Belgrade, Montana
I like that concept, adjustable even.

My old anchor was a 45 lb steel dumbbell that I welded an eye to the handle. I originally tried just putting a carabineer around the handle but it would just roll down river... Welding an eye on the handle made it roll over the rope, so it would just roll a foot or so then self tighten.... Might be worth a try if the gym has any old dumbbells lying around, a good spare if nothing else.

The only thing I don't like about Montana is no big fish... I usually head over to the Clearwater in Idaho once or twice in late winter/early spring and once in the fall but missed my window this year. Can't wait for spring! Good luck with the Chrome-dome's.

Just try different weights, you may not need 45 lbs that obviously depends on your rig, balance and the water you wan't/need to anchor in...
Old 11-14-2014   #5

If you find yourself with time to spare and heading towards NorCal, let me know. THe fun is just starting, need some rain to really kick it into overdrive.
Old 11-14-2014   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Thanks for the offer! How long is the run? Chances are super slim I can get away...unless I can find work over there. Anybody you know looking to develop a public water supply system? drill some deep wells? Wetland or waterway permitting issues? Joking of course but I really do need to find projects to work on in steelhead country...
Old 11-14-2014   #7

Pretty much runs all winter through mid April. With the drought a shit ton of people need wells!!
Old 11-14-2014   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
What kind of lock did you get? Check out the Leelock system- it's a real joy to use that lock- simple, bombproof.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet74 View Post
Pretty much runs all winter through mid April. With the drought a shit ton of people need wells!!
I bet they do! I'm not familiar with California's water laws nor state drilling regulations, but my guess is the drillers are doing everything themselves and folks are reluctant to spend time and money engineering a well, especially if there are emergency provisions in place... I do appreciate the heads up, I'll do some research, see what's going on over there and if there is a way to parlay a business envelopment trip into a steelhead trip.

FWIW, I like the open cleat system my self. The feed through systems require better alignment when pulling (can't pull at much of an angle) the open cleats with a pulley you can pull from nearly any angle (180 degrees from the pulley) Plus I like to pull it from the cleat and forget it while I take a few strokes to slow the boat down, with the feed through systems you have to hold the rope up (keeping the catch open) while dropping the anchor... Lots of folks like them and I'm not saying they're bad, just stating what I like.
Old 11-17-2014   #10

Sounds good, heading to the Feather now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app