NRS Adjustable Dry Box Mounts - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-30-2013   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
NRS Adjustable Dry Box Mounts

There are no reviews of this product on the NRS site. Do they work well (hold the box securely)?
Each of the 4 angle pieces that hold the box is suspended from the frame crossbars by a strap. I really like the adjustability idea, but want to be sure the box won't be moving around.
NRS Adjustable Dry Box Mounts at nrs.com
Thanks.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I purchased a set way back when.

Used them a couple times in my 143 Aire self bailer.

They work, but some how there was something about them I just did not like. I think it was the image of that aluminum rubbing on my raft floor and no matter what you do it will rub or at least it did for me.

So I went to a pair of the extra wide straps. Did a locking knot on the buckle end and arranged that so it was easy to adjust on the outside. Since my bars were close to a perfect fit for my cooler the cooler did not move at all. I could easily adjust how high or low I wanted the cooler above the bars.

For what it is worth, for me the extra wide 2 inch I think straps worked great and better than the aluminum setup which is somewhere in the spare parts box.

I also toyed with the idea of having Tuff River Stuff or Stitches'N Stuff make me a mesh basket setup as that works really good. But the strap setup was cheap, fast to set up and works really well for me.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
There are no reviews of this product on the NRS site. Do they work well (hold the box securely)?
Each of the 4 angle pieces that hold the box is suspended from the frame crossbars by a strap. I really like the adjustability idea, but want to be sure the box won't be moving around.
NRS Adjustable Dry Box Mounts at nrs.com
Thanks.
If you are not using your box as a seat for rowing, then they are over kill. I sit on my box as the rowers seat for multiday. In this respect the NRS dry box slings are very critical as they do not allow the box to rotate at all during hard rowing in heavy water. A big plus. I highly recommend these if you intend to sit on your box as a rowing seat. I have used them extensively for the last 5 years on my Aire SDP with no issue.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Yes, I do want the option to set it up to row from the dry box. Glad to hear the "adjustables" (i.e. straps from frame to brackets; no brackets directly attached to crossbars) keep things stable. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I think it was the image of that aluminum rubbing on my raft floor and no matter what you do it will rub or at least it did for me.
Because it is adjustable, I figured you raise it up until the brackets don't touch the floor. Maybe I'm missing something...???
Old 10-06-2013   #6
ehurrle

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with Shappattack. I use my dry box for a rowing seat and these straps work great for both the dry box and cooler. Easy to adjust and you can also get the specific tie down straps for this setup or just use an extra cam strap or two. My dry box is pretty snug but the cooler can tip to one side or the other, with straps over the top both are very secure.
ehurrle is offline   Reply With Quote