Nrs 10"oar towers - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2018   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nrs 10"oar towers

We recently upgraded from a 14' to 15.5' sotar ST. Used to run DRE towers on the old raft and they were pretty bomber. I found adjustment annoying with those, and the tiltability limited, so put the 10"NRS towers on the new frame. The NRS towers seem awfully flexy, and we were only in flat water today. Are they going to make it down the grand? Has anyone run these for a while?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1532828252059.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	31507  

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've run 10" NRS oar towers for the past 3 seasons. They've always felt totally bomber to me. I've done Cataract, Middle Fork, Yampa, Lodore, San Juan, Deso and more with them. They've always felt great to me, but I've never run DRE towers so no perspective there.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #3

at my house, Montana
Thanks bcpnick- i am going to add a cross brace to the double rail in the frame below, that should help. I originally had one on the previous frame, but took it out. This frame is longer and that outer rail can use some intermediate bracing, I believe.
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
When do you launch on the Grand?
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Ah yeah, I didn't notice in your pic that your side rails have nothing supporting them because of the double rail. I could definitely see the flex from that being a problem. Not the oar towers fault. A cross brace near there should fix it right up.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #6

at my house, Montana
Cross braces installed!
Old 07-29-2018   #7

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
looks like you've solved this but it made me curious why you didn't experience the same flex with the DRE towers if the frame was configured the same? i too have been running those towers on a 16' cat for 11 years and 5 GC trips and i've never noticed any flex. i'm not the strongest rower out there though and i use pretty flexy sawyer polecats so i might not notice it.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #8

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
looks like you've solved this but it made me curious why you didn't experience the same flex with the DRE towers if the frame was configured the same? i too have been running those towers on a 16' cat for 11 years and 5 GC trips and i've never noticed any flex. i'm not the strongest rower out there though and i use pretty flexy sawyer polecats so i might not notice it.
I think partially because this frame is about 6-8" longer, so there is a lot more length of that side rail to flex and twist. Also, I never ran that frame without polymax decking on it, so any pipe flex or twist was not visible. The speedrail towers are pipe, as long as those set screws hold they won't budge. The nrs towers definitely have some flex where the dre don't. I think the cross brace will solve this.

I do like the burlier attachment of the dre tower though, as opposed to a single nrs ubolt. Why not 2 ubolts?

Test run #2 in 2 weeks, and after that, it is all GRAND!
Old 07-30-2018   #9

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
The only thing I worry about with the single u-bolt is if it breaks. In terms of flex of the oar mount on the frame, I think it would be minimal because the bolt would have to stretch considerably to allow any movement between riser and frame. I have the old style NRS mounts, the new ones are sure prettier but they seem to have less material so maybe a little flex because of that?
That'a nice rig you've put together.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018   #10

Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Cross braces installed!
interested in a pic if you have one, have a double rail myself and am curious how a brace would look.
TFVandal is offline   Reply With Quote