NRS 10.5' raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
NRS 10.5' raft

Any of you see this post from Ceiba? Looks like it might be a new addition to the Otter series.

https://www.facebook.com/CeibaAdventures?fref=photo

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Looks just like the boat they gave us at asci right when they were introducing the revolution series. Those boats got a bad rap, but it looks like they didn't give up on the design.

We had tons of fun in that little unstable bathtub.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Here's a good look at the profile.

I'm already in the drink at this point, and obviously everyone else will be soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #4

Cave Creek, Arizona
Huh, never heard of the revolution series. I guess the bad rap is why they aren't making them anymore? I had been wondering why they didn't have an R2 boat.
Old 03-30-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
The revolution series failed due to a serious delamination issue, boats were urethane I think. I guess the new boat is the standard nrs material.
Old 03-30-2015   #6

Cave Creek, Arizona
Old 03-30-2015   #7

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
That'd be fun to low-side
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
Huh, never heard of the revolution series. I guess the bad rap is why they aren't making them anymore? I had been wondering why they didn't have an R2 boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
The revolution series failed due to a serious delamination issue, boats were urethane I think. I guess the new boat is the standard nrs material.
No K2 that's not it....although they are urethane.

I bought a revo from an NRS warranty shop...they had it as a demo. Right as they got it into the shop a newbie raft guide backed a trailer up into it and put a big tear into the side. He (the warranty guy)and his wife used it for a few months after he repaired it...then he sold it to me for a song, practically new. His wife was kinda upset he sold it as it was her favorite boat....and these people have access to a literal warehouse of Hysides, NRSs, Maravia and Aires....so it said something to me.

The bad rep came from a posting here....and this poster's singular experience (never heard any other issues) was perpetuated by word of mouth for awhile. I kept seeing posts on this site and other paddler's forums to the tune of "I heard of this guy who ripped the floor in his revo on the first day...so don't trust it"

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ion-38691.html

According to my warranty guy he said that NRS told him that the material from their manufacturer had a sudden increase in price which moved it out of the lower price point they wanted to keep it at...that's why they discontinued it. I asked him about any issues like the poster brought up in the above thread. He said the only issue is *IF* it does puncture, the tear tends to run and be a little bigger than hypalon or pvc would. I called NRS with these questions and they told me the same thing about the material price going up.

With THAT said...the revo is BY FAR mine and my GF's favorite boat out of 5 rafts I own of different makes and materials (even like more than my Hyside). As far as durability, I can tell you that there is absolutely no issue. That guy ^^^just hit something bad....it was bad luck. There are no delam issue I have ever heard of.

This was proven to me last year (I even posted a thread on it).
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ind-52670.html

The short story: My raft, fully loaded with camp gear, myself and my GF...was lifted off the water by a dust devil and slammed onto shore ontop of several beaver cut sapling stumps 2 to 3 inches in diameter. We could not lift the boat by ourselves back to the water....so we had to drag the boat off of all the sharpness back into the river. I was sure we were going to be losing air. I couldn't believe we didn't have a full puncture with air loss. When we get to the take out I looked at the bottom to asses the damage. I couldn't even tell where it happened. That and another encounter with the splintered end of a tree trunk has proven to me that these boats can handle whatever. The revo is the only boat of mine that HASN'T been punctured...yet it has been through more.

MY experience with the NRS urethane has sold me on urethane boats. Plus I love that the 14ft boat is like 120 lbs....my 14ft Hyside is at least 180.

I wish they still made the revo line and I would KILL for that 10.5 raft to be the revo material. They definitely needed a small R2 bout though.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #9

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
also have to say...other than the 3 main chambers it doesn't look like a revo design at all. The revos, I'm 99.9% sure were the exact same dimensions as the otters, just in different materials

At the very least they have alot more of a rocker/kick to the tubes than that little boat appears to have.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #10

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
There are no delam issue I have ever heard of.
I had a 14' Revolution that was delaminating in three different places. Give NRS credit as they gave me full credit which I used towards an E-140. Just saying...
hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote