Non-standard foot bar? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2019   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Non-standard foot bar?

Wondering if anyone does anything for a foot bar that isn't heavy frame material... I.e. I haven't thought it out but I conceptualize something with straps, and maybe wood?

I'm setting up a new boat/frame combo and I have a prospector 103 so I would need and extra crossbar to attach a standard footbar... I'm wondering if I can avoid that.

It's a big bucket boat that wouldn't see big water, and probably nothing over class II... This will be the boat for the newly growing family and I won't get rad in it, but I'd still like the have the leverage of a foot bar.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Wondering if anyone does anything for a foot bar that isn't heavy frame material... I.e. I haven't thought it out but I conceptualize something with straps, and maybe wood?

Consider having one welded, and use thinner wall tubing than frame material.

Fittings and medium wall tubing are really what add weight. Negligible weight difference between wood and thinwall metal.

On the flip side, wood is warmer and could have better traction.

are you going with a floor and captain's boxes?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #3

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
are you going with a floor and captain's boxes?
No floor or captains boxes... Too spend for my budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
My main gear frame doesn't have a foot bar. What I do is use a big ass dry bag and wrap a small tarp around it and cam strap it to the cooler bar in front of my feet. I brace off of it. Cheap and easy and adjustable by size. The tarp keeps foot prints to a minimum.

I'm not afraid to use someone elses bag if it gets thrown on my boat.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #5

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
My main gear frame doesn't have a foot bar. What I do is use a big ass dry bag and wrap a small tarp around it and cam strap it to the cooler bar in front of my feet. I brace off of it. Cheap and easy and adjustable by size. The tarp keeps foot prints to a minimum.

I'm not afraid to use someone elses bag if it gets thrown on my boat.
Neat idea... Thanks.
Old 03-04-2019   #6

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2008
I removed foot bar, it was taking up some valuable space. In rower's bay, I've tightly strapped down two 5.56 ammo cans (tools and repair kit), and use those for foot bar. it's worked thus far, albeit haven't yet gone down big stuff yet and put all my push into it.

a floor for rower's bay wasn't that hard or expensive to fabricate. some 3/4 plywood, holes for straps (which i beveled off with router), and good paint.
rowingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #7

Calgary, Alberta
Yeah... Maybe I should consider a floor like you and MT4Runner have mentioned. It could be useful for bracing and for extra gear storage.
Old 03-04-2019   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I third the floor idea. Go to a sign company and ask if they have any MDO offcuts or old wooden signs. MDO (Medium Density Overlay) is essentially marine grade plywood with a durable paper glued to it like MDF. I've been using it on my boat for the last few years untreated and it holds up incredibly well. I say go to a sign store because a lot of them have too much of it and they use a lot of it and may give it to your for cheap or free.

I like my foot bars angled out. I do need to get or make a new one, since mine is the NRS style without the crossbar going all the way across. Its nice to be able to stand on it a little bit sometimes when taking a big hit, which is the main reason for angling it. It also gives a bunch more clearance for a drybox or cooler.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the tip about MDO... I'm really liking the idea of not having to treat it.

Edit: I hadn't heard of MDO before and just did a little search... Looks like the end grain of the plywood is exposed... This doesn't need sealing?
Old 03-04-2019   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Paint will make it last longer, but it’s not vital...especially the edges

Marine pump still gets wet, but the glue is formulated to hold better under wet conditions
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote