No need for yuppy coolers. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-04-2016   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
No need for yuppy coolers.

I just want to talk about the importance of cooler maintenance. This little $20 cooler held ice for 8 days down the salt river. I started off the trip by freezing two square 5 gal buckets full of water. This basically filled the cooler. I started chipping away the ice until all the food fit and added some extra foam insulation to the lid and a piece that fits in the cooler. The cooler was only opened in the early am or late pm and was covered in a wet towel at all times and was shadded while at camp. I personally drain coolers but this cooler isn't equipped with a drain hole so I drilled a bigger hole in my tube squirt gun and added a hose barb and a hose so I could pull the ice cold water out of the bottom and of course spray the nearest person. Mid trip I realized we were greasing through our beer supply so I filled what room I had with beers and surprised everyone last day with ice cold morning beers. Yuppy coolers are nice but I don't see the need to have one on my mini boat.

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The yetis are getting crazy popular with hicks, as a hillbilly I can use that word, when I was living in OK almost every truck I saw (95%of the cars in OK are trucks) had a stinking roto cooler in the bed. I guess since everyone has one now that chance of theft is lower than I thought. I'm holding out on finding my first yuppy or hick cooler on the side of the road.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya, you really don't need the fancy ass cooler if you take care of the one you got. My split lid coleman holds ice a week, to week and a half. I line the bottom with blocks, freeze the food I can, fill any leftover space with cubes.
I leave my drain open all the time these days, hang some sections of sleeping pad from the frame all around the exposed sides.
A piece of foam on top of the cooler gets covered with a wet towel, throw my paco on top to sit on for my rowing seat.
The Yetis that are uncovered in the sun run out of ice, while I have cold beer on the last day.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I thought this dead horse had been beaten to a pulp, but I guess not. Niche communities are silly things, once a product gets big, it's viewed as junk by the people who think their way is the only way, and that anyone who chooses a different products is a yuppie, hick, noob, moron, sucker, etc. I don't get the cooler superiority complexes that people on the buzz have, or the excessive concern people have over other people's gear on here. I'm going floating, nuts to this circle jerk.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
[ QU, OTE=seantana;438614]I thought this dead horse had been beaten to a pulp, but I guess not. Niche communities are silly things, once a product gets big, it's viewed as junk by the people who think their way is the only way, and that anyone who chooses a different products is a yuppie, hick, noob, moron, sucker, etc. I don't get the cooler superiority complexes that people on the buzz have, or the excessive concern people have over other people's gear on here. I'm going floating, nuts to this circle jerk.[/QUOTE]

The "best cooler" Horse gets bruised up two or three times every summer and then once in the winter usually.

Stiffy, it's not only about ice retention. It's also about strength. My cheapo igloo held ice surprisingly well, but it cracked when I jumped to it from the bank, and it came apart when my boat was upside down in the river. When I have two passengers sitting on the cooler or standing on it while fishing, or standing on it in the garage while changing a lightbulb, I can because it's that strong.

if a less expensive cooler works for you, that is great enjoy.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Another major consideration is the number of rivers that require the cooler to be bear rated. And the fact that this is a trend that will grow to most if not all Rivers.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
I just want to talk about the importance of cooler maintenance. This little $20 cooler held ice for 8 days down the salt river. I started off the trip by freezing two square 5 gal buckets full of water. This basically filled the cooler. I started chipping away the ice until all the food fit and added some extra foam insulation to the lid and a piece that fits in the cooler. The cooler was only opened in the early am or late pm and was covered in a wet towel at all times and was shadded while at camp. I personally drain coolers but this cooler isn't equipped with a drain hole so I drilled a bigger hole in my tube squirt gun and added a hose barb and a hose so I could pull the ice cold water out of the bottom and of course spray the nearest person. Mid trip I realized we were greasing through our beer supply so I filled what room I had with beers and surprised everyone last day with ice cold morning beers. Yuppy coolers are nice but I don't see the need to have one on my mini boat.
When I read this, it reinforces my love of my "yuppy" cooler. I just place frozen jugs in the bottom and forget it. I try to keep it in the shade, but other than that I don't have to play cooler Nazi and I've never run out of ice. I'm happy I spent the money 10 years ago, best $250 I've ever spent and you just reminded me why.

Oh and along Colby's line of reason, I've used mine as an impromptu jack stand while changing a tire on my trailer...

Each to his/her own, but I couldn't be happier with my cooler situation.
Old 07-04-2016   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
I thought this dead horse had been beaten to a pulp, but I guess not. Niche communities are silly things, once a product gets big, it's viewed as junk by the people who think their way is the only way, and that anyone who chooses a different products is a yuppie, hick, noob, moron, sucker, etc. I don't get the cooler superiority complexes that people on the buzz have, or the excessive concern people have over other people's gear on here. I'm going floating, nuts to this circle jerk.
I get your point, but not all of us get to go floating on this wonderful 4th of July. I have to work, so I'm thankful for this little diversion back to the land of flowing water. I hope you have/had a great trip.
Old 07-04-2016   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I get your point, but not all of us get to go floating on this wonderful 4th of July. I have to work, so I'm thankful for this little diversion back to the land of flowing water. I hope you have/had a great trip.
I'm actually working today, too. Hopefully I get to see some water this afternoon, though. I was just feeling extra salty this morning.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm sitting here waiting for the fireworks to start so might as well whip a dead horse.
Bought a yuppie cooler (brand not important) for my 2010 GC trip. used as day 13-24 frozen cooler. Returned home 28 days after leaving for trip and dumped a piece of ice the size of a roll of TP. No Coleman/Igloo no matter how much it is babied will do that in my very humble opinion. I was careful but not anal with my management. I stand on it to get my Coleman coolers off my top shelf. I also never need to top off with fresh ice just before launching, just saying.